• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gramma vs. oides

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
This may seem a little evident to others. What is the differnce between apistogrammas vs apistogramoides? I looked up several fish and there is no stark difference to me.

Neil

There is only one species recognized in the Apistogrammoides genus to date. That would be pucallpaensis. The morphilogical characteristics of the 2 genera are very similar, with the only real difference being the spines in the anal fin. 3 for apistos and 6 or more in grammoides. Simply the anal fin is bigger (longer) and covers more of the fishs' underside. There is also a unique caudal peduncle spotting in pucallpaensis, but it is not always clear.
Pretty little fish, but it looks an aweful lot like an apisto. But that's good enough for me! :D
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….