• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German Blue Rams

Tbar100

5 Year Member
Hello,

I had a few questions regarding keeping German Blue Rams.

1) The source I am purchasing from keeps and breeds them at 7.7, fine with me as long as they are healthy. I was planning on using pure RODI water for waterchanges and such but there are two problems. The RODI water fluctuates pH's fairly rapidly. How do you guys keep that from happening? Also, since they were kept at a higher pH before, when they come into my tank and have a pH of about 7.2 - 7.4ish (still getting things worked out) will that be too much of a shock and will prevent them from breeding do you think?

Right now I forgot my other questions but I may remember them!

Thanks!

Marc

Evan

5 Year Member
If you are moving the fish to lower ph you should acclimate them slowly. It will only be a shock if you dump them in the tank. When you get them pour them into a container. Over the course of 2 hours add a small amount from their new tank every 15 minutes. You want to end up so that at the end of two hours their water is at least 2/3 tank water. Then net them out and put them in their new tank. Another good choice would be to drip acclimate but just make sure you keep an eye on the dripping.

As for keeping you water from fluctuating you can either use a phosphate buffer which is chemical which you add to your tank periodically and with water changes to set a specific ph or you can do something to increase your kh. The problem is that it is difficult to raise kh without also increasing ph.

Tbar100

5 Year Member
Ok, I will just acclimate them slowly. I usually drip acclimate new arrivals. I did last time, but I had to leave so I set a timer on the stove and asked my mom to watch it. She said "Ok, thats fine. I will go to the store afterwards" and I came home to find my mother missing (at the store) and my room flooded :eek: :eek: HAHA! Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….