• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frustrated

ZeeZ

I'm trying to set up a breeding project with Apistogramma Trifasciatas. Recently, I had thought I had one female, but as they grew up, I realized that they were all actually males.

So I tried a different vendor and specifically requested a female Trifasciata even though they said no guarantee on sexing. I was excited when the mail finally came in this morning. Guess what I found.

Elongated. Front. Ventral. Fins.

Another male. So I now have not one, not two, not three, but four male Apistogramma Trifasciatas.

It's very easy to sex these fish. Why do vendors not understand how to sex them? The one I got today is old enough to be sexed, it's about the same age as the other two young ones I have.

Does anybody even have a female Trifasciata?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a single female trifasciata but she is pretty old. If you want her she is yours for the cost of shipping but I can not promise you she will make the trip! She isn't in bad health or anything but I've had her for a couple years now.

ZeeZ

Is she still in breeding condition? I know they don't live long, only two to three years. It might be worth a try, though.

PM me your information. If anyone else has any more or knows someone who has some, I'd appreciate it. Thank you guys.

gerald

5 Year Member
I'll keep an eye out for some at the LFS in Wake Forest; they get some Apistos fairly often. I dont recall seeing any trifasciata there, but they had red aggies, "steel blues", and gold cacatuoides (?) recently. Years ago I had some absolute beauty trifas that came from ApistoDave.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
That's why I always buy in lots of a minimum of six, if not eight. Even then, it's not guaranteed you're going to get opposite sexes, especially if you're buying from a singular source. After I get a good established pair or trio going, I sell off the extras to friends in our local club...or setup a second tank for them.

ZeeZ

My oldest male came from ApistoDave! He's absolutely stunning. Fantastic colors, red, silver, blue, even a little bit of green. He's the one I want to breed. :) I didn't know he was on here but it makes complete sense.

Unfortunately, I have to eat my words... I e-mailed the vendor and here's what they had to say -

Are you 100% positive? The breeders in Asia are selective breeding these to get longer fins and more color in BOTH sexes. The fish was completely yellow with dark ventrals when caught. I would give it some time before making the call on it. Glad to hear it all made it safely though. Let me know.

After giving it a day, I realized that it was indeed a female. I hadn't known that Asian breeders are selectively choosing both sexes with longer ventrals. If I had known this, it would've saved me embarrassment. Ah, well, easy mistake to make.

I'm starting to really like Apistos. Should my endeavour prove successful with spawns, I'd love to expand to other Apistos. Orange Flash would be one, among others. I have much to learn about these fish.

Regani, I have noticed that Apistos seem to be pretty popular in Australia, as almost every other mention on Google about Trifasciatas are from Australia.

Great advice, Slimboden! From now on, that's what I'll do.

gerald, you're absolutely everywhere! Carolinafishtalk, NANFA, and now here! I wonder where else I'll bump into you.

gerald

5 Year Member
Charlotte (CAAS), Raleigh (RAS), Anubias Design Yahoo Group, and AmericanLabyrinthFish Yahoo Group. Those plus the ones you listed are the usual limits of my aquaristic web wanderings. We seem to have similar fish tastes.

gerald, you're absolutely everywhere! Carolinafishtalk, NANFA, and now here! I wonder where else I'll bump into you.

regani

5 Year Member
Regani, I have noticed that Apistos seem to be pretty popular in Australia, as almost every other mention on Google about Trifasciatas are from Australia.

they are still a niche market here, but we have a small active community here trying to keep various species available in the hobby

ZeeZ

That makes sense, regani. I'm glad there is.

Indeed, it does seem that way, gerald. I think it may be to my benefit to check these sites out as well. Thanks!

Very soon I'll be starting another thread with tank setup that I'd like you guys' feedback on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….