• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Falling In Love All Over Again (gold cacatuoides)

F

fishgrrl

After about 5 years of stepping away from the freshwater part of this hobby, I decided I wanted to set up a small fw community tank. To me, a community tank means one small pair of peaceful cichlids. I always loved cacatuiodes, so decided to see what new strains had been developed, and find the FABULOUS yellow/gold cacatuoides. I swooned.

Any idea of how common / rare these guys are? I find mention of them all over the internet, but none actually offered for sale. Yet I searched the forums here, and it sounds like some people have even gotten them in thier LFS's. And do they cost an arm in a leg? I live on a modest budget. Of course that only means saving up longer, because I think I *have* to have them; I'm smitten. :)

Sallywally

5 Year Member
Ray McCaleb out of Athens, GA is actively pursueing a breeding program with these beauties. I don't think he has any available right now, but you can check with him at
www.raymccaleb.com

Neil

fishgrrl,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Any idea of how common / rare these guys are? I find mention of them all over the internet, but none actually offered for sale. Yet I searched the forums here, and it sounds like some people have even gotten them in thier LFS's. And do they cost an arm in a leg? I live on a modest budget. Of course that only means saving up longer, because I think I *have* to have them; I'm smitten.

They are not particularly rare, but because of their inbred propensity for deformation, it is difficult to get good ones. Be careful who you get these fish from. It is worth it to find stock that is carefully managed. They are not all that expensive and are pretty popular right now. Seems like alot of people are "smitten" also. There is an article on this site about them that you may want to check out.

Good luck,

Neil

Zapisto

5 Year Member
ho yes
take care of who selling this fish to you.

it is not everybody who will remove bad specimen from the cluch and leave only a very few specimen there.
money can turn the best person into a bad person.......

and neil yes they are very difficult to breed :( no in term of breeding , but in term of getting good fish without any probs.... :)

F

fishgrrl

Thanks so much for the info. I'll keep in mind the health issues when looking for them. Hopefully they won't be too tough to find.

F

fishgrrl

As a fabulous stroke of luck, the fish store I work for got several of these in... My boss claims he didn't order them, they were just added to the shipment, but it seems a little "fishy" to me. :)

The male isn't as colorful as the ones posted here, but he is young, and otherwise looks healthy with good body shape, no bent rays, etc . . . (female looks good too). And if I have a problem with them breeding or their offspring, I have a friend who is breeding triple reds and we can try swapping partners out for diversity, seeing if I can improve the line. I got them more for display anyway (but I know I won't be able to resist trying to breed them, . . . )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….