• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fake or male? - rams

mixmixi

Hi

I'm new to this forum so sorry for any mistake in advance. Could anyone tell me if my rams are male or female? There are 4 of them, three golds and a German. The pictures are not a repeat but of them all.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392669556.437002.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392669570.036064.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392669580.069373.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi mixmixi + all !

The fish in the last pic is a female... notice her pink-redish/thicker belly (eggs)!! + she is probably a little bit smaller than the males..
All the others looks like males... (more elongated dorsal +anal fins + the first 1-3 dorsal spines(?) are extended )

You will probably find that all the males will "flash" in front of her + swim around her with sudden body movements..??
They are called "Butterfly-cichlid" in swedish...
I think I`m being correct when I say that the original Ram was described with the old scientific greek/"latin" name Papiliochromis ramirezi. "New" name is Microgeophagus ramirezi..(??)
(I think Papilion means Butterfly in french ??)

They most often breed and lay the eggs on a flat surface.. !! (Big-leafed-plant/root/stone/ on the sand )
Both male and female guards the eggs/fry... in small pits they dig in the sand.. But it might be difficult to get surviving eggs/fry if you have got predatory catfishes or tetras in the same tank!!! ( Catfishes are strong fishes and might have a "shielding harnesk-body" and often search for food at night, not easy to stop )
If you are lucky, you`ve got freeswimming fry in approx. 8-10 days after breeding..!!

/MickeM

Reactions: Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….