• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye problem!

craigbradford

Recently I noticed my Apistogrammas left eye was swollen and it looked like a fungal infection (not sure), I did a 50% water change and have been dosing with Melafix for 3 days now. The "fungus" has gone away now from the front and turned into this black hole which appears to be puncturing the pupil. If anyone has knows what this is or has any suggestions on what other treatment or measures do to next I'd appreciate it?
I've attached two images of the eyes current state and an image of the opposite eye to show a comparison.

IMG_8063.jpeg

IMG_8060.jpeg

yukondog

5 Year Member
I'll go out on a limb here and say it looks like it's been shaved from the front to the back, is there anything with sharp edges? When it comes to treatment I'm lacking, other than staying on top of water changes. I'm sure the knolaegabul will chim in soon.

MacZ

The fact that the fish is laying on the substrate and seems a bit bloated too points to me to a bacterial infection. The eye is in a later stage of popeye and I would be surprised if the fish and the eye can be saved.
Up the waterchanges, add more tannins and optimize the holding conditions. Usually that's all you can do without using antibiotics. Which are overkill and hard on the fish itself too. It will likely just speed up the inevitable.
If after a week with better conditions it's not getting better maybe think about putting it down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….