• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf cichlid sub-tropical tank

M.ramirezi

I'm looking for a new dwarf cichlid for my sub-tropical tank.
The tank is 80x35x40 (40 cm height), temperature at night varies between 17 and 20 °C, and at day between 20 and 28 °C.

Current inhabitants are 15 Aphyocharax nattereri and 10 Otocinclus sp.
Few plants (couple of Echinodorus sp.), lots of wood and oak leaves, lots of Limnobium laevigatum.

Water parameters are:
pH: 6,5
Hardness: 5

I'm currently thinking of a pair of Laetacara dorsigera, but I'm open for other suggestions too (I've already kept A. borellii in this tank). I haven't got any specific preferences ;)

regani

5 Year Member
A. trifasciata also occurs further south in areas where the temperature varies during the year with night time water temperatures dropping below 15C as well, so that could be an option if you wanted another apisto

M.ramirezi

Nice fish, though it is blue colored just like the borellii. Blue colored fish in combination with dark water doesn't work well, because it looks more like dark-grey than blue unfortunately.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
20C sounds a little low for Bolivans, they aren't found as far south as A. borelli or A. trifasciata. Collection data I have from Linke and Staeck's book is 27C.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Other than apistos from subtropical South America, I know of only 1 apisto species reported to survive long-term at 20°C/68°F: populations of A. luelingi from the higher elevations of its range in Bolivia. Don't expect any of the cold-tolerant species to breed at such low temperatures.

M.ramirezi

The higher temperatures (around 28 °C) are only in summer by the way. During the winter the maximum is 22 °C.

Breeding isn't my intention, but every now and then a breeding female would be nice to watch.
Unfortunately not alot of options... Most attractive for now is the dorsigera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….