• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Double or Triple?

bizfromqc

Would this be considered a double red or triple red? Came from a batch labeled "double" red but it seems to me it could be considered a triple since the anal fin has some red as well?

6856_10_02_12_8_48_27.jpeg

Can someone point me to a web page or article that explains the different color morphs? Specifically I'd like to read about the color genes and how they come about determining color in fish (dominant, recessive).

Complete newbie in all of this and would appreciate input from the experienced breeders/keepers out there.

Thank you

Attachments

• 6856_10_02_12_8_48_27.jpeg
    6856_10_02_12_8_48_27.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 338

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, "triple" for what it's worth. It's the number of fins that have the red color on them that make up the name. I'm not sure if the ventral fins will get counted as one or two fins once someone gets the red stabilized in them.

bizfromqc

Thanks for the info. I know it really doesn't have a "meaning" per se but I just wanted to get an opinion on it.

I'm more interested in how genes play a role in the final coloration. Specifically, I want to know what I may get when my fry grows older

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Tail chequering is dominant (and presumably single or few genes), but I'm not sure about colour (I would assume multi-gene control). From my own experience if you start with "Double Red" parents (I've also bought one Orange flash male) and select for healthiness and body shape, rather than fin colour, you end up with male fish with orange, heavily chequered tail fins.

This is a male from a couple of generations ago
composite.jpg

My present males have better fin length and slightly more fin pattern.

cheers Darrel

bizfromqc

Hi all,
Tail chequering is dominant (and presumably single or few genes), but I'm not sure about colour (I would assume multi-gene control). From my own experience if you start with "Double Red" parents (I've also bought one Orange flash male) and select for healthiness and body shape, rather than fin colour, you end up with male fish with orange, heavily chequered tail fins.

This is a male from a couple of generations ago

My present males have better fin length and slightly more fin pattern.

cheers Darrel

Thank you for the information.

I definitely want the healthiest individuals. What tell signs should I be looking for as they get older (shape, fins, etc...)?

Thanks,
Biz

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I definitely want the healthiest individuals. What tell signs should I be looking for as they get older (shape, fins, etc...)?
Just don't select only on fin colour, when you look at the sub-adult fry as soon as they are sexable, some will be noticeably more active and chunky. I just take 5 or 6 of these out and raise them together, again select 2 from these based on body shape, fin extension etc. these are your male "keepers", do exactly the same process through the remaining fish and select out 7 or 8 females "keepers", then send the rest to a local shop. I usually try and keep a male and a spare, but you could then select down to one male and 3 or more females.

cheers Darrel

bizfromqc

Hi all,
Just don't select only on fin colour, when you look at the sub-adult fry as soon as they are sexable, some will be noticeably more active and chunky. I just take 5 or 6 of these out and raise them together, again select 2 from these based on body shape, fin extension etc. these are your male "keepers", do exactly the same process through the remaining fish and select out 7 or 8 females "keepers", then send the rest to a local shop. I usually try and keep a male and a spare, but you could then select down to one male and 3 or more females.

cheers Darrel

Thanks again for sharing your technique.

Right now they're all hanging out with their mother in a 20G tank.

In your experience, how long can I keep them in there and possibly re-introduce the male later on? I would assume that when reintroducing the male, I have to take out the "juvies" to avoid any potential conflicts?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….