• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does older fry keep parents from breeding again?

raymond82

Hi,

I have a pair of A. vielfleck that spawned not long after I bought them (actually in pure tap water not long after an unfortunate incident that emptied the whole aquarium overnight). Now we're around 4 months later but they didn't attempt to breed anymore. The female actually seems to be bullied by the male quite often. Most of the brood is out but around 8-10 of them are still in with the parents, could they be the reason the parents don't spawn again?

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I find that when I keep juvenile fish with pairs of most species of apistos, breeding slows and sometimes stops. This is less likely in tanks where there are more than 1 female per male.

raymond82

Ok. I'll be going on holiday soon but after that I will make an effort and remove all the juveniles. Not long ago I thought I'd introduce another female that I had in another tank but this wasn't a success, she got bullied to death. I have one more separate female that I could add but I'm not sure how to do this without putting her at risk. First I'll try with removing the juveniles.

steve1572

I found my veilfleck just wouldn't breed when any fry were left in with them and as soon as I removed them they would spawn again
Yet I have a wild pair of baenschi which have fry from 3 spawns in with them and have bred again
Yet my wild Oregon actively hunt the fry when the female is ready to spawn again

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

raymond82

That's what I thought before, that the fish would breed anyway and then hunt and kill older fry. That's also why I was surprised they didn't want to breed anymore. Interesting to see that this differs between species. I'm gonna try removing the fry when I find the time, I'm hoping that what worked for your vielfleck's works for mine too!

raymond82

I finally found the time to remove the juveniles two weeks ago, after that the male started harassing the female a lot so I introduced a second female I have that was in another tank. Now look at this:

Both females have a nest now! One of them will be free swimming quite soon I think, let's hope everything will work out fine. Thanks for the advice anyway, it worked out really well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….