• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I have L. curviceps or L. dorsiger?

J

jrp

Last week I purchased two pair of Laetacara curviceps (as labelled in the store) for my 58 gallon tank. From the photos I have seen in Baensch and around the internet, they could just as well be Laetacara dorsiger. Can someone take a look at the pictures of my fish and let me know if you are able to identify which species is correct?

One of the males

The male again

One of the females

Thanks in advance,
jrp

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Well...the male looks like my dorsiger. The red breast right under the chin stands out to me. When in spawning mode, they will get a deep red. My females didn't look like yours. That looks more like the curviceps. Her black band wasn't as prominant. My females showed more red than the males did. I'm only basing this on what I remember from when I kept them. I will dig around in some of my older pictures and see if I can find ones I took of my fish.

J

jrp

Thanks for the replies. I have read about the red coloration found on L. dorsiger but had not observed it on my fish yet. The camera flash exaggerated the colors quite a bit on the first photo, but they are not as apparent under normal light. That male has more red today, so I'll be calling them L. dorsiger unless someone else chimes in.

Thanks again,
jrp

Neil

jrp,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I am putting my vote in for dorsigera as well. There are several facters that are diagnostic, but kind of had to tell from the pics and your posts. The red color being the biggest. Looks kind of more like the body shape and background color of dorsigera too. I see a full ring of red on the caudal fin and some red on the dorsal spot. Gotta be dorsigera! I suspect that whether you are seeing it or not there is a red chest on the female too.
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Laetacara dorsigera

Dear JRP,

Congratulations on your L. dorsigera (The head shape is a definate giveaway). Enjoy them!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….