• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither Fish

anewbie

pygmy won't eat the eggs but if they aren't careful the female might chew off their tails or worse.

Iormungand21

I have had success with pygmaeus and habrosus cories in breeding tanks with a few apistogramma sp that i've kept without problems. Your mileage mage vary, everyone's fish and tanks/scapes etc are different. If the potential of cories being murdered by a protective apistogramma mom is unacceptable, I would pass.

MacZ

If it's a big-mouthed Apistogramma a C. pygmaeus may end as attempted food. Seen A. cacatuoides choke on these Corydoras. Usually at least one of the fish involved dies.

MacZ

I'd like to add, bottom dwelling fish (Corydoras, loaches etc) I would only combine with dwarf cichlids in a sufficiently big display with a big footprint. 100x40cm minimum, the bigger the better. Especially if keeping both sexes of the cichlids, which will at one point end in breeding behaviour. And that's where things usually go down the drain because cichlids and catfish/loaches will stress each other a lot at that time.

anewbie

I'd like to add, bottom dwelling fish (Corydoras, loaches etc) I would only combine with dwarf cichlids in a sufficiently big display with a big footprint. 100x40cm minimum, the bigger the better. Especially if keeping both sexes of the cichlids, which will at one point end in breeding behaviour. And that's where things usually go down the drain because cichlids and catfish/loaches will stress each other a lot at that time.
While i generally agree my experience with pygmy is they are much more timid than other cory and seem to learn to stay away from areas that cause conflict (if the aquarium is large enough); this is distinctly different than the sterbai, aeneus and eques i have who simply go where they want to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….