• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus maculata

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
Anyone with any experience with Dicrossus maculata? I picked
up a group of 6 juveniles a few weeks ago and have them in
a 10G with fine dark gravel, javamoss, oak leaves and driftwood.
Temp is 78F. KH out of the tap is 4, GH is 6 and pH is 7.2.
I'm attempting to get the water softer and more acidic by not doing
water changes. Driftwood and leaves have released tanins and I
may be adding a small bag of peat in there this week to help.
Fish are very active and eating like hogs. Feeding them blackworms
though I'm going to switch to frozen bloodworms this week.

Currently they're about 1" - 1.25". how much bigger are they
going to get?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Nice fish...

You will be able to lower the pH a bit with the peat and leaves, but you will not effect the hardness very much. I suggest using RO with your tap about 50/50. That will bring the KH down to about 2, and then the pH will drop much more easily.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not too difficult to keep but if they spawn you will want to consider moving the parents and not the fry. I have some of the Rio Tapajos Cf andthey are pretty much the same except they are a white water CF

Neil

Currently they're about 1" - 1.25". how much bigger are they
going to get?

You don't have juvs. You have sub-adults. They are pretty close to spawning size. They will grow another 1/2 inch or so.
The water requirements are not as difficult for this species as it is for filamentosa. I spawned them in 6.3pH, but the water was very soft (mostly RO).
At the size that you have now, can you sex them? If not you should be able to soon.

One store in the area has some Rio Tapajos but they want $30 a pop.

That is not a bad deal for Rio Tapajos. Especialy if they are sexable. It is a pretty rare and usually expensive fish.

Neil

Neil

That is a probable male, but I wouldn't bet money on it. They are tough little buggers to sex until the male starts blossoming!
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldMouck

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….