• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus 420 L

Gaisller

All the cianos are gone!

IMG_E7099.JPG

I noticed that the male dicrossus is being super aggressive to two females. The other two females are ok but they are also aggressive towards the same females. Is it breeding behavior? There is something that I could do to help?

IMG_E7107.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is territorial aggression. The less dominant females may eventually succumb to stress related illness if not removed. I wouldn't worry about breeding in a tank full of fry predators like yours. You would be better off if you only had a 3 of males in the tank.

Gaisller

This is territorial aggression. The less dominant females may eventually succumb to stress related illness if not removed. I wouldn't worry about breeding in a tank full of fry predators like yours. You would be better off if you only had a 3 of males in the tank.
This fishes are pure evil... Saddly, one female died yesterday.

The male and the other two females are doing great, but there is one last female that is being attacked by 'em. It does not look to do much damage, but the stress is what concerns me. Actually, the male does not damage the female, looks that he is trying to get her attention. But he is doing it all the time, so she hides ate the corner of the tank.

Some more pictures:
IMG_7215.JPG
IMG_7216.JPG

Also, I added two Otocinclus (?). I would appreciate if you help me with the ID of it btw.
IMG_7172.JPG

MacZ

Yeah, they are not brutally violent like e.g. Pelvicachromis but they are relentless. The only chance for this female is being removed from the tank.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Also, I added two Otocinclus (?). I would appreciate if you help me with the ID of it btw.
Could this be “Hypoptopoma Sp. Peru”?
I guess it’s a close relative to otocinclus.
Just guess-work, from my side.

-r

MacZ

Could this be “Hypoptopoma Sp. Peru”?
I guess it’s a close relative to otocinclus.
Just guess-work, from my side.
Completely overlooked that (being on phone all day).
Yeah they are not Otocinclus, not Hypoptopoma, but Parotocinclus maculicauda. They prefer higher conductivity and pH than the other fish in the tank, but can do with low levels.

anewbie

Close, but the red in the fins is telltale for P. maculicauda. Those are quite common in the hobby the past two years. O. flexilis haven't been spotted in a while.
I have several of those (and knew what they were - they are often sold as 'red fin' otto). My question - is there much of a difference between them and otto? They do seem to be somewhere between pleco and otto but wanted to check if there was a real biological behavior with regards to food et all.

Gaisller

Guys, this isn't the theme of this forum, but I would like to know if it's ok to buy some angel fish and keep them in my tank.

Do you think it will be okay? I was thinking in 5 angels. What do you think? Does anybody have experience with angels?

Thanks!

MacZ

I'd rather not. The tank is quite low and lacking the high structures required to keep them from killing each other once they mature to adults. And once they breed it's not gonna be a good place to be for any of the other fish.

anewbie

Guys, this isn't the theme of this forum, but I would like to know if it's ok to buy some angel fish and keep them in my tank.

Do you think it will be okay? I was thinking in 5 angels. What do you think? Does anybody have experience with angels?

Thanks!
Unless your aquarium is over 6 feet long (longer the better); chances of having tranquility among the angels once a pair form is near zip. I have a 10ftx4ft aquarium and will be 'testing' at some point if the larger space will allow domestic angelfishes to get along with pairs forming. The 120 they were in definitely was not large enough to support more than a single pair (4ftx2ft); mind you for the first 2 years or so you can keep 5 or 7 in that space but as they get older sooner or later the dynamics fall apart - you'd think it would fall apart as soon as the pair forms but it seemed to take a bit longer to completely collapse if raised together. Naturally individual fishes have different personalities and your experience might differ but i tried 4 or 5 times with different sets in the 120 and things always fell completely apart by year 2. This was the aquarium:

festy.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….