• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus spawn?

Noddy65

5 Year Member
One of my females has just spawned. Her pectorals are now nice and red and she is sporting a solid lateral stripe now...the eggs are encased in a long line of gel...is this normal?
Any hints on hatching the little buggers?

Mike

five

5 Year Member
Hey Mike, that is interesting. Care to let us know what's the water parameters in your tank that your successful in breeding these beautiful fishes? Any tricks?

:wink:

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Never come across the eggs been laid in a sticky line before, has she got them altogether in a cluster now??? (I'm sure when mine were breeding the eggs were laid individually).

As to success tips, keep the water free of pollutants and in top condition. Feeding wise, mine were taking bbs when they became free swimming without any problems.

Andrew

Noddy65

5 Year Member
:redface: Well...she laid the eggs on a sponge filter that is behind a log in the tank...couldnt get a very good look at the eggs.
I pulled the sponge filter out today (she is in a larger tank with other apisots etc) and the fry wouldnt have had a chance.
The eggs are laid on the bottom (on the base) of the sponge filter and are NOT the ones in the gel. Looks like the gell ones are snail eggs (as I suspected)

Tank parameters:
ph - 6.4
Kh: 40 ppm
Gh: less than 10 ppm
Temp: 26 C

The dicrosis are in a tank with Double red aggasizzis and a pair of baenschis. Both have just spawned.
Many apisto breeders in Aus have produced very little since Christmas. Its been a long hot dry summer with no rain since early December (in Perth temps have got as high as 43C). Most people have been getting lots of spawns in the last few weeks now since weve been getting rain and the weather has cooled a bit.

Mike

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….