• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus hermaphroditic?

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Is their any valid research proving or disproving this? I am super curious about this as I am getting a group of 6 individuals on Monday and I have been reading about this unique trait from an article by Ad Konings. I am just wondering if its a valid claim.

Gary

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are no published data for Dicrossus species being hermaphroditic. Crenicara punctulatum has been reported to be hermaphroditic in several old scientific and hobby papers. Since Dicrossus species once were placed in the genus Creinicara, I imagine many of the claims that Dicrossus is hermaphoditic is by association. Your best bet is to hope for some specimens with red ventral fins. These are females that have already spawned.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Figured as much. I'm getting a group of 6 from Spencer Jack on Monday and this article by Ad Konings has been going over in my mind for a long time. I think what he had happen there was a sneaker male amongst his group.

Thanks Mike.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I managed to get 8 of these lovely litte gems. Spent an hour acclimatizing them to our lovely low pH, acidic water and they colored up almost instantly. Gave them a small feeding and they went to town! Looking forward to getting some breeding out of these.

Ted, I will keep you posted on the sexes. So far, they are about 1-1.5" and we can see at least one Male in the bunch.

Gary & Erin

ste12000

5 Year Member
Your best bet is to hope for some specimens with red ventral fins. These are females that have already spawned.

Hi Mike, a few experiences of mine prove this is not always the case.. I recently brought in 35 small D.filamentosus, non are obviously sexable and measure aprox 30mm, two small fish were showing red pelvics so these were removed to one side for my own stock along with a few that may be males. Over night another two fish in the larger group have developed red pelvics!! they have certainly not spawned and they were definately not red the evening before, i checked every fish very closely in a attempt to sex them. It could well be a dominant trait that the strongest fish show? its not always related to spawning.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Currently, they are still being held in QT, but showing great progress from their initial ordeal of shipping. I would say, I'm impressed with the "quasi-shoaling" behaviour they exhibit and no one seems to leave by themself.

Things might change however when they are placed in the 40GAL Blackwater tank and hopes of breeding. From the looks of it, we have a dominant Male already showing the start of lyre shaped caudal.

Interesting observation amongst the ventral fins.

Gary

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….