• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dehumidifier Water?

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Hi,
Does anyone know if using water from the dehumidifier is ok for the tanks? I mix RO with tap water and this time of year I am taking out 1.5 gallons of water per day from the air in my downstairs. Could I use this water for my fish? How could I sterilize it if I needed to?
Cathy

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cathy G,

I’ve seen several problems with possibly using dehumidifier water.

The biggest is copper coils. Many, especially older units, use copper tubing as the condensation media which can leave trace amounts of the metal in the water. The same may hold true of other types of metals used. The coils my oxidize over time and become safe to use, but I’d test the water directly if you know which metal to test for or set up an experiment tank with some disposable occupants and see what happens.

The other issue I personally had when I tried to use the water was poor water quality! The occasional bug or spider would end up in the collection tank and foul the water, usually showing as a high ammonia reading. The mold and bacteria that build up on the inside of the collection tank would also cause some issues for me.

In the end I found it much easier and less expensive, do to all the needed testing, to just use a D.I./R.O. unit. I know it seems a big waste just to dump the dehumidifier water but it’s better then killing a bunch of fish from with one batch of water.

Jeff

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….