• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cute P. pulcher story

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
I just picked up a pair of kribs...possibly the Ndonga variety (I'll withold judgement until they're more accustomed to the tank and their full colors settle in) and wanted to share this story:

There were two tanks of kribs at the LFS. In the tank with only 4 young kribs, there was a definite female in breeding colors and a male who had paired up. The LFS guy caught the female first, but then these young kribs were all so stressed I couldn't tell them apart. Not wanting to pick the wrong one, I got a male from another tank. The poor male was panting/heavy breathing all evening long and didn't make it. I went back to the LFS, and they gave me another male krib. This time, I picked one of the young kribs from the same tank as my female (the one I thought looked like the male with her the other day). Lo and behold, after I let him out of the bag, he went and hid, and then the female slips out, swims right up, arches her side, and they swim off together! They've been inseperable since...I must have found the fish she'd paired with at the LFS...true love is reunited.

Eric

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis pulcher

Hello Eric,

That is a cute story; thanks for sharing it with us. Sounds like you'll be feeding fry in no time.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Thanks Randall. I'm hoping and expecting there will be fry. I've only once tried my hand with kribs...several years ago, but I tried to force the pairing instead of finding an already formed pair (or buying six to get a pair)...and they weren't too fond of each other. Darned if these two aren't just the cutest pair...

Eric

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis pulcher

Hello Eric,

Harmonious pair bonds are very important with Pelvicachromis pulcher. I've heard many killer krib stories where one fish ends up taking out the other, even after spawning. In most instances, however, there is a common thread: either the breeding tank was too small (<20 gallons) or the pair bond was weak from the start.

Good luck with your pair. When they get down do it, adding a few dither fish should help to strengthen their pair bond.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
My pair will be in a 36" long 33 gallon tank (after quarantine which will be shorter than normal since I've watched this tank at the LFS for over a month and all were well), and they will have 6 white clouds as dithers...I'm keeping the tank at 78 which isn't ideal for the white clouds but they seem healthy enough. Other tankmates will include a clown pleco, two otos, 3 amano shrimp and an older, calm male paradise fish.

With all those tankmates, I wouldn't expect many fry to survive, but if I'm pleasantly surprised my LFS always offers store credit. I'll be keeping an eye on the other tankmates to see how they all get along. The tank is very heavily planted, several caves, and lots of driftwood really break up lines of sight and create screened areas.

Eric

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….