• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

curviceps w red patches -- ??

firetank

5 Year Member
hi guys,

scored 4 l. curviceps last friday, today i have noticed 2 of them have red "patching" around the middle of their bodies.....just behind the gills, (the gills are as uniform as the rest of theyre bodies.)

the fish are eating, and active..

im not sure if this is just a sign theyre colouring up some more, or a potential problem??(they have gained a lot of colour in only 5days since..)

water peram. ph6.2, kh <19ppm, gh<2* nitRITE 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrate 40-50ppm.

thanks
craig

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Watch to see if the scales under the red patches start to raise up a bit, and look for cloudy slime coat and fin clamping. Red blotches can be a sign of a bacterial infection.

Randall

5 Year Member
Patchy Laetacara curviceps

Dear Craig,

L. curviceps commonly display some reddish lines or striping on the head, gill plate and/or flanks. This coloration is not "patchy" however. I agree with Ted in that red patches may denote a bacterial infection. Please keep a close eye on your fish. Should the patches get worse, a water change followed by an antibiotic may be appropriate.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

firetank

5 Year Member
update!!!

thanks guys,

i think i may have been a tad premature, they do seem to be more the striping Randall describes..

they are behaving and eating healthily; i think i may have a mated pair already!!

cheers
craig :)

firetank

5 Year Member
good news,

they spawned last sunday, and I now have a good batch of wigglers....

really great, watched them spawn on an amazon sword leaf: theyre colouration is now almost black!!!!

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….