• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Macmasteri Weird swimming

ltadeu

Last Friday 13, I got a couple of Apistogramma Macmasteri. They look awesome but I find a bit weird that the female swims around a bit slanted. They eat fine and the tank is about 3 months old, the parameters are the following:
  • 6.4 pH
  • 6° GH
  • 6° kH
  • 0 ppm Nitrite
  • 10 ppm Nitrate

Videos about the behavior:

Do they look fine to you?

IMG_20230114_180459.jpg
IMG_20230113_212739.jpg
IMG_20230113_200026.jpg

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
The site doesn’t support video upload, so you may need to host it somewhere else and post a link.

Does she swim that way all the time, or just around the male? If the latter, female turning sideways is a common sign of sexual submission.

ltadeu

Looks like you may have eggs, do you have brine shrimp or any other food to feed the young?
This morning I saw her protecting the hut, that makes it almost certain that she has laid eggs.
I have some frozen daphnia but I think it is too big for the fry.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have some frozen daphnia but I think it is too big for the fry.
You need a small live food item for the fry, it is the movement that provokes the feeding response. I keep a <"just in case"> Banana Worm (Panagrellus nepenthicola) culture going.

If I really don't have any live food, then the mulm from your filter <"will provide Rotifers etc">.

You might be able to get Micro (or Banana) worm culture via ebay?

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….