• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curvicep with flukes

TS45

5 Year Member
Our male Curvicep has been distressed and scratching on the gravel or rock.

I see no sign of White Spot (Ich) but do notice what I would describe as a White Head or Pimple, light Beige colored at the top sides along the back. In about 2 or 3 spots, maybe 1/16" in size.

Have been treating the tank for three days with an Purple ICH treatment (will check the brand, it worked for white spot before).

He seems to be getting better, was completely lethargic laying upright on the bottom of in a plant. Now is swimming alittle and eating alittle. Still scratching.

Raised the temp from 79.5 to 81.5 to 82.1 to 83.9 breifly and now holding to about 82.

Could this be Flukes?

Anonymous

5 Year Member
The spots could be caused by the scratching that the fish is doing. This will dislodge scales and cause localized sores. I would give the fish a 2-3 minute bath in salt water. Specific gravity of 1.023. This treatment can be repeated every day if needed, but I recommend every other day. Do not return the salt water to the tank though. The flukes and other parasites will only be stunned off of the fish and at the bottom of the bucket.

Terry Fairfield
aka "The Fishdoctor"

TS45

5 Year Member
The products I'm using are made by AP (Aquarium Products). The initial treatments were with "Quick Cure", a Malachite Green formula. I have had minimum results thus far.

Now trying their "Aquarsol" product, which appears to be purely a Copper Sulfate treatment. Starting gradually, testing Copper levels as I go. I have started at a third of the recommended dosage. I did notice once added all fish, Curvicep female, Tetra's and Corydoras (the cory's have been very nocturnal, actually came out) became more active and swam the tank end to end. Not sure if normal just before lights out or the fish areshowing signs of distress from the Aquarsol?

What type of Salt should I use?

Thanks,

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Melafix, also made by Aquarium pharmaceutical, helped me with this kind of problem...

Phil

TS45

5 Year Member
Our Curvicep male is coming around, more free swimming and eating alittle. However last night tried a feeding of Frozen brine, he tried to gulp a piece in, as he gulped and inhales he shook violently almost like trying to expell something. He still has accelerated breathing and looking into his mouth perhaps shows a little mucous membrane. His finnage is alot more erect and almost normal, just hope to get him back to full strength.

The Aquarsol product seems to be distressing to the fish.

Is there a basic salt mixture to use per gallon of water?
Also, what type of salt?

thanks!

TS45

5 Year Member
Finished up with 2 treatments of "Melafix", as of toaday the Male Curvicep is back to normal!

He's busy displaying to the female and letting other tank members know the boss is back!

Thanks to all who gave tips, I cannot really pin down what treatment cured him, maybe a combination of all 3?

Have a good one, Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….