• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting in Colombia

Ttw

5 Year Member
Does anyone have recent information regarding collecting in Colombia. This would not be in the far southern regions?

Erik82

5 Year Member
In January 2010 a group of Dutch hobbyist went to Letitia. They caught A. sp. kelleri, A. bitaeniata (one with orange fins) and some others. After a few weeks they went to small tributary of the Rio atababpo where they collected A. iniridae, A. sp blutkehl, (if i'am correct) A. sp. breitbinden, A. uaupesi, A. cf eunotus, farlowella sp., C. notophthalmus (not sure if they been caught here or in Letitia) and more.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I collected in the Leticia area in 2008. Watched the National Police arrest suspected FARC guerrillas; spooky. I understand it is 'calmer' now. You probably won't have any problems unless you enter areas controlled by guerrillas or drug lords. This means that most areas in the foothills region of the Colombian Andes - areas where we find A. macmaster, A. viejita, A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Rotflecken, A. hoignei Arauca/Tame, etc. are a bit "iffy". Remember, after drugs the most profitable occupation in the area is kidnapping rich people (= foreigners)! ;-)

Tom C

5 Year Member
A guy I know was collecting with Heiko Bleher in the Puerto Inirida-area in March/April this year, he didn't tell me about any problems. (On the contrary: he claims they found a new Apistogramma species on this trip. They will publish photos "soon")

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….