• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Colected cichlids...

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

Last weekend i´ve colected these fishes in lakes adjacents to the Araguaia river, now i share the pics with you...

Apistograma sp. (araguaia?? i´ve never see one to compare...)
I can´t find a adult fish... Maybe i´ve have one second specie, colected in another lake on the other side of the river, but they are not with me now to take pics... Next week, i hope...

apistosp3-1.jpg

apistosp2-1.jpg

apistoaraguaia.jpg

The biotope:
lagobiotopo.jpg

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
In near lakes, i´ve colected these 2 species of crenichicla...

creniciclhaa2.jpg

crenichiclaspb.jpg

In the way to the river, i´ve stop in a lake on the road. I didn´t colected anything, but i´ve take these pictures:

ciclideosp.jpg

ciclideo2.jpg

Someone can ID these fishes? hehehe

Best regards for all!

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Not sure with the rest, but below I would say is a Biotodoma sp (whether cupido, wavrini or other would be a guess from the angle this photo was taken at). The eye stripes and the flank spot with 'highlights' around the edge, fairly distinctive (similar to my own adult group).

ciclideosp.jpg

Andrew

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
Nobody knows about the crenicichlas?? I can´t identify the first... =/ The little one i think is a Crenicichla cf. regani...

Apisto nut, it´s not so easy, but i can look for some things... hehehehe Unfortunaly, i´m too distance of Amazon... but anytime i´ll go there take some pictures...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just where in the Rio Araguaia did you catch these fish?? The first 2 photos look like A. sp. Araguaia females. The third photo is of a regani-complex fish (probably female), but I know of no regani-complex fish in the Rio Araguaia! Based on the best reference on South American cichlids that I know about, Biotodoma cupido is known from the Rio Araguaia. The top photo looks like a young specimen from the Crenicichla-reticulata-group. There are several species of C.-reticulata-group known from the Rio Araguaia, but I am not experienced enough to say which it is. I agree that the other pike is the C. cf. regani (Tocantins).

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
Hi Mike!

I catch the fishes on lakes in Luis Alves area, near (about a 30km) the south of bananal island...

All the apistos (nine of than) was captured in the same lake, in a small area... They show two spots on the lateral line sometimes.
Another area apistos are with a friend, but look like the same specie. I´ll try to take more pics of all than next week...

The crenicichla cf. regani is great!!! I´m really sad cause i catch just one of than, and i can´t turn back there this year in the dry season... But next year i´ll hope to camp there a week or two...

best regards for all!

Greg PL

5 Year Member
Chaos engine, you're doing it on purpose! ;) you can't imagine what impact your stories have on a guy sitting on the other half of Earth and other side of the Ocean...
instead of telling us about your plans to camp there next dry season you'd better send an official invitation to all forum members :)

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
HahahaHAhaha Sorry Greg! I can´t imagine the impact... i´ll be more carefull hahhaAHAHAhAhAHAh So i think that you don´t wanna see the pics of the river that i´ll put here now... >DDD hehehehe

Well, I can invitate everyone here, i just don´t know if the farm owner will like this... hahahaha. But if he don ´t like, you can stay in city hotel´s near... hehehe

Who want go??

The camp:
rancho3.jpg

barracas.jpg

The river
rio1.jpg

6aaf4e3d.jpg

Boring, no?? hehehehehehe >D

Greg PL

5 Year Member
yeah... (yawn)... would you pick me up from the airport tomorrow...? ;)

hey, btw, I wonder if you recognize any of those plants? I had to use my imagination and what's available to get at least a hint of the feeling you have there :)

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
Well... i´m really bad in botanic... I´ve alredy see some of these plants in gardens, but never in nature... i think... hehehe

I´ve take more pics of the Araguaia´s apistogrammas... The Population 1 is the same of the old pics... the Population 2 is from the other side of the river, and i´m not sure if they are the same...

Population 1:

apistosppop1.jpg

apisto2pop1.jpg

Population 2:

apisto2pop2.jpg

apistopop2.jpg

Are they the same specie??

Best regards, and hugs for all!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on these photos, I believe the the first photo shows a form of A. cf. taeniata. Photos 2 & 3 show A. sp. Araguaia. Photo 4 probably shows the same A. cf. taeniata form as photo 1, but I have neve seen vertical bars so dark & distinct on a resticulosa-complex species. That is why I originally thought it was a regani-complex species.

You wrote that they were collected near the town of Luis Alves. The only town I can find with that name is in the state of Santa Catarina, east of the coastal city of Florianópolis. This cannot be the same town. Can you list a city near Luis Alves that I can find on my map of Brazil?

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
Hi Mike!

Luís alves is really small... More a village than a city. Is near São Miguél do Araguaia, and about 50 ou 60km near the south limit of bananal Island. If you can´t find, i take a shot on google earth and put here on the thursday,ok??

tanks!

Chaos engine

5 Year Member
Very intersting Mike... I pass for a bridge on the river Crixás Mirim in the way to Luís Alves... Do you have some picture of this colorful form???
Now i just can wait the fishes grow...

Tank you, and best regards!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This appears to be the same location that Marco Lacerda collected my specimens! I looked for my decent photo, but could not find it. Basically, it is the same as your fish with many red stripes and spot on the face and the male's body is a sky-blue like that on A. panduro.

blueblue

5 Year Member
envy envy!! I told my wife many times that after i retired, i would definitely take an adventure and visit the Amazon river!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….