• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cockatoo help

M

moricollins

my female cockatoo dwarf cichlid has been lethargic yesterday and this morning, and i noticed this morning that she was HUGE, her belly was all swollen.... she was yellow in colour... is she pregnant? or ..... is there trouble?

any help would be appreciated.

Mori

Randall

5 Year Member
Female A. cacatuoides

Dear Mori,

Is your female housed with a male, and are they exhibiting courtship behavior, please? If so, yes, she may be holding eggs. If not, something may be going on. Are there any other symptoms, please? I.e., is she eating?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
If there is something wrong it is most likely bloat or dropsy. Remove her to a specimine container and look at her from above, are the scales pushed away from the body? If so you have dropsy. if not it is most likely bloat. i have seen bloat improve through lots of water changes. I have never tried to traet it, I chose to euthanize the fish each time i have encountered it. Epsom salt baths have proven very effective for bloat. Like previously mentioned, she could just be full of eggs though. Let us know if she is still accepting food.

Rich

M

moricollins

she passed away about 6 hours after i posted here, so i am assuming she was not just pregnant. her scales were not pushed out, so she must have had bloat

thanks for the advice anyways.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Very sorry to hear that! Hurts when your fish die. What kind of cacs were they? Also often food types can contribute to bloat. What were you feeding and how often?

Rich

M

moricollins

i was feeding them flake food (nutrafin variety) and tetramin tablets, (which they love to eat) fed around 3 times a day usually...
she was a domestic cac... not sure which variety.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….