• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cichlid book

arringfray

5 Year Member
hey,

I'm interested on getting my hands on a good comprehensive cichlid book. What I'm really after is one that has all of the cichlids separated into locations. As well I would like to have photos of each (both male and female), as well as info on behavour, breeding, nutrition, size, etc... I know this is a pretty tall order and that a book like this probably doesn't exsist, but I thought I would ask just in case it does :) Thanks

Geoff

Randall

5 Year Member
Cichlid books

Hello Geoff,

A good book that does all that you specify has yet to be published. If you don't mind spending the money, there a number of good specialty cichlid books that concentrate on a particular cichlid group and/or geographical location. Please feel free to look up the following authors.

Allen, G.
Barlow, G.
Konings, A.
Koslowski, U.
Lamboj, A.
Leibel, W.
Linke, H. & W. Staeck
Loiselle, P.
de Rham, P. & J. Nourissat
Romer, U.
Skelton, P.
Seehausen, O.
Weidner, T.

I'm probably leaving out some.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Z Man

5 Year Member
I hope you don't think that $69.99 is a good price for this book. Look around the internet for Canadian booksellers that have it more like $35. I can be purchased in the US for about $25 at many "fish" book dealers.

dr.fishy

5 Year Member
Hi Z Man

I have looked for the book on several attempts with google search and all book stores I can find in america but the cheapest that I have found is $45 from Dr's. Foster and Smith, What are the names of the bookstores in america you have that sell it for $25? How did you find them? with a search engine or just happen upon them with luck?

Thanks for posting this as I was almost to buy one copy, and I would love to save a few bucks.

Dr. Fishy

dr.fishy

5 Year Member
Thanks for the Big als I hadn't thought of them... I actually added the shipping into the cost since it does cost 8.99 for shipping from Foster and Smiths but big als only costs 6.95 for shipping for $35.00 or under in costs. They are about the same price. Both do beat the pants off eBay and amazon.com.

I'll keep thinking about it and make an offer to Foster and smiths. They usually bargain to get you in the door as it were.

Dr. Fishy

arringfray

5 Year Member
ya I ended up paying $70 can for the book and that is cheapest price I could find. There are only TWO places in all of canada that have the book. Lots list it but only 2 actually have it. those are Big Als and www.mops.ca. Mops is way cheaper then big als but Big al's will match the price. The book is alot cheaper in the US for some reason, and I thought about just importing it, then I realised that the duty would be enormous as the book is most likely printed in singapore like the rest of his books. Also the customs guys tend to be ruthless on you when they know you can buy the same item in your home country.

ronv

5 Year Member
Randall, is your book ( the Lamboj book ) still available from this website? If so I would like to order a copy. Please PM me. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….