• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chemical restproducts when lowering pH..

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all..

I am thinking about lowering the pH by using some kind of acid solution.. ( In a seperate tank with no fishes!! )

After reading this thread, I am wondering if there is any way to avoid to get any "restproducts" to the fish tanks.. ( due to the chemical mixing process )
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/natural-ph-alterations.14868/

Can I reduce the amount of restproducts by using any clean neutral gravel/sand in the mixing tank??
Are rest products "heavier" than the water? ..
and will they "sink" down into the gravel/sand ??? (and hopefully stays in the gravel/sand until I put it out..?)

I wish to get the low-pH-water.. as "clean" as possible...

If this is possible..will the burned, reddish Aqua-Clay-Sand work in this case ??

/Micke

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all..

Sorry regani.. I forgot to mention this ..

I have heard and observed some people getting a very fine "powder" laying on the ground of their Water-mixing tanks..
I think they have been using diluted phosphorus acid to lower the pH.. then adding some NaCl to get an OK osmotic situation
when adding it into the fish tanks...
Maybe that "powder" is only the NaCl and nothing else.. They could not answer me..

Since you were talking about sodium chloride leaving carbonates if impure, I had to ask..

Maybe that phosphorus acid in combination with NaCl also leaves some "restproducts" ??

(Sometimes if one never ask, one never learn..)

regani

5 Year Member
The NaCl won't be a problem as the sodium salts of phosphoric acid are easily water soluble, the same is true for any other acid you may add. You shouldn't get any form of precipitation when you add acid to your water to lower pH.

The only thing that will happen, apart from the pH dropping, is that the conductivity of your water will usually increase because you are adding ions. How much depends on which acid used and what's already in the water.

MickeM

5 Year Member
OK regani, many thanks!!!

I will try and see how it works out for me.
And I will go back to find out what kind of water they were using... Maybe it is coming from a private well ??

According to a friend of mine, the conductivity is not the big issue (in his case..)!!
But.. he really loves his sphagnum and keeps it in almost every tank!!! A lot of it too !!!

/Micke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….