• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ccihlid Atlas

Neil

Everyone! There is a new book on Dwarf Cichlids, called The Cichlid Atlas, out by an extremely knowledgable fishkeeper/scientist, Uwe Romer. It has been out awhile in German, but now it is available in English. It is the most comprehensive book on Dwarfs yet! You can get this book, although I understand it has limited distribution, through many different sources. For example, www.finleyaquaticbooks.com, The Apistogramma Study Group, on Ebay, David Soares site(autographed copies), etc.
The book cost is somewhere between $50 and $60, but it is well worth the money. I have the German copy and am intending to get the other soon.
Hopefully, mordor will post here again and let us know a little bit more about it, since he has the book now. By the way, mordor, sorry about the deletion of your previous post! Neil

Neil

Just an update on the new Atlas. The Apistogramma Study Group has a special right now that if you join the ASG for 1 year - $17.00, you get 6 issues of there publication and a reduced price on the book - $49.00. That is a worthwhile purchase! You won't believe how good this book is. And the ASG is a good group to be affiliated with. Check it out.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I recv'd my copise of "The Atlas" on Saturday. Got one for my use, and a signed one to show off to fellow fishgeeks 8) Anyway, this book is going to cost me a lot more in the long run. I am going to have to sit down and prioritize what I want and the order I want to get them. I've kept close to 50 species of dwarfs over the last 20 years. I have read about a lot of the fish in the book. Verbal descriptions just can't compare to a nice glossy picture...wow. Apistogramma, Laetacara, Nannacara, Dicrossus, Biotecus, Telocichla (moved to the top of the wish list), etc...so many fish, so few tanks...off to read some more. If you don't have a copy, I highly recommend getting one. If nothing else, there are some awesome pictures. I'm going to have to spend some time and focus on the text and try to avoid gettign lost in the photos.

Neil

I haven't heard anything about a new West African book of any kind. And, boy, would I love one. The Tetra book is very good, but it is lacking so much new stuff and somewhat incomplete on some of the older stuff.
I would love to start one :p . It's a pretty big subject and info is awefully scarse. I think that that part of the world isn't very hospitable for collectors and not too many aquarists are maintaining West African species. I actually am trying to take pics of as much as possible. I will be adding about 100 pics to Apistogramma.com this weekend and about 20 of them are Westies. Hopefully, I can build from there by begging for pictures from others that have these cool fish. By the way... Anyone have any Westie pics that they would like to have up on the site! :wink: Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am selling copies at 45.00 apiece-David Soares 14697 S Bluegrass Ln Sisters OR 97759---5415499350-----Hope you don't mind Neil!

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
hmmm
always the sam problem :(
==>> if by check or money order it must be drawn on a US bank <<==
to join ASG :(

i am in canada and my bank is canadian :(

David do u sell to canadian ?

B.

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma Study Group (ASG)

We at the ASG are going to be doing a lot more with West African cichlids, now that I'm on board. The upcoming issue of the Apisto-Gram, case in point, is devoted to "Westies," with much more to come!

I purchased my copy of the Romer Atlas from Dave Soares. The "Atlas" has got to be, by far, the best, most comprehensive English language source for American dwarf cichlids ever printed. I encourage everyone who even makes pretense towards dwarf cichlids to get themselves a copy. You won't be sorry you did.

Thank you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

S

Stahmer

Hello everybody. My name is Sven Stahmer from Germany. As I saw you could get the Atlas now in english. We know this book already since some years here. I was wondering that you like it so much. We had here years ago many discussions about it and be sure that there are much better books about cichlids, especially apistogramma. Just take a look at the pictures in the book and make your own opinions (is every picture right? is every apistogramma at the pictures healthy? etc.). A better book in our opinion about dwarf cichlids you can find from Linke/Dr. Staeck or brand new from Koslowski. Regards to everybody.

Randall

5 Year Member
Apisto Books

Dear Sven,

The new Koslowski book is quite fine, to be sure, but it is not available in English. The Romer book, on the other hand, is by far the most comprehensive currently available in English. From my perspective, the photos aren't nearly as important as the content.

Linke and Staeck's book is quite dated now, and only contains 50 forms of Apistogramma out of circa 200!

Please translate the Koslowski book for us, okay?

"Vielen Dank!"

Randall Kohn

Z Man

5 Year Member
As far as errors in Romer's book; Mike Wise of the ASG has written a 4 page 2,500 word article on all the corrections that should be made to the photo's in the book. I don't know off-hand when the book was first published but since then and the time it was translated into English, many of these errors were known but still not corrected. That is understandable if the book is only being translated as the translator would have no knowledge of any scientific changes and most possibly does not even know anything about tropical fish much less the dwarfs in the book. All in all it is a great book and well worth the purchase price. Maybe David Soares could tell us exactly how many copies of this book were actually printed in English? I'm sure it will be a very long time before Koslowski's book will appear in English. Z-man

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Farm41,

The ASG's website is Apisto.com. You can print an application form right off the site, fill it out and send it off with a check. The upcoming issue of the Apisto-Gram is devoted to West African dwarf cichlids.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
Bissot_J said:
hmmm
always the sam problem :(
to join ASG :(

i am in canada and my bank is canadian :(

B.
Dear B.,

All you need to do to join the ASG and purchase the Romer Atlas is to have your bank draw a check in US dollars and send it to the ASG Apisto.com. To compensate for the bank charge, it might be better to join for, say, 3 or more years. One one-year membership plus the bank charge for the check might prove somewhat expensive.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

S

Stahmer

As I understood, most members here are talking english. I just anwered to this forum that as long as other books (for example from Koslowski) are not translated, you are in "good hands" with the Römer-book. But I´ll discuss this point when I next meet with Dr. Staeck and Mr Koslowski. About the Koslowski book: I´m sure it is one of the best in our time I ever saw about Apistogramma. Lots of pictures are also made by members of the AKZ in Germany, the leading group for dwarf cichlids in Europe. Would be nice if you also can get it very soon.

Kind regads from Germany.

Sven.

jvr

5 Year Member
Where can I get Koslowski Book & Canada

I have checked several search engines and can not find a source of this book. Would any one know where I can order it.
Bissot_J wrote:

hmmm
always the sam problem
to join ASG

i am in canada and my bank is canadian

B.

I have found no obtsacles regarding US payments - You can get a US postal money order at any post office in Canada. You can open a US chequing account drawn on a US bank with any Canadian Bank and last but not least if the organization allows it pay by credit card. Credit card is the easiest, I pay the ACA and the AKA on-line that way for my memberships.
It all works fine.

John

P

perrito_blanco

Z Man said:
As far as errors in Romer's book; Mike Wise of the ASG has written a 4 page 2,500 word article on all the corrections that should be made to the photo's in the book.
:?:
Does anyone know where can I get this article? I plan to get this book soon and the article would be nice to keep with it.

Neil

perrito_blanco,

You might try contacting the ASG directly with your question. I am not sure if Mike's email is availabl on the site, but someone there can probably lead you to it. Good luck.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….