• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I add A.cacatouides to this tank?

Leipo

5 Year Member
In my 29g planted tank with the following inhabitants:
7 Paracheirodon axelrodi
5 Megalamphodus sweglesi
3 Corydoras sodalis
3 Otocinclus vittatus
5 Nannostomus eques
2 Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
3 Neocaridina sp.
1 Caridina japonica

I may be pushing my luck but I really love to have A.cacatouides in my tank.

waterparams:
PH around 7.2 - 7.5
KH = 6
GH = 7
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0 - 5 (my plants use it all)
PO4 = 0 - 0.1

20% waterchange every sunday

aspen

5 Year Member
adding more fish to that tank would be too much for my liking. but, you could do it. i would change more water than you presently do, more fish = more maintenance. i would be doing 2 x 30% weekly. i prefer dwarf cichlids to gourami's.

VERY nice tank.

rick

Leipo

5 Year Member
at the moment I have more cover than the last picture on my site.
and I do not have gourami's any more.

and more waterchanges: the plants use all the nitrates so it never goes above 5mg/l, what else is there that needs to be removed from my water that comes from the fish?

I am also in the process of upgrading my light and I will add a pressurised co2 system in a few weeks which will speed up my plantgrowth which will mean that my plants will use even more NO3 (I might even have to supplement NO3).

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'and more waterchanges: the plants use all the nitrates so it never goes above 5mg/l, what else is there that needs to be removed from my water that comes from the fish?'

that is a question i would love answered. my experience: more water changes = better fish growth and health proven over and over.

it is possible to run a tank for months and months with NO waterchanges, and no climbing nitrates if your plants keep up with food uptake of the fish. for nitrate and phosphate removal, water changes in a co2 injected, high light tank are not necessary as you know. trying to raise a spawn in such a tank is a different story.

this has been a good topic for discussion on many forums. eventually it gets circular though.

rick

2la

5 Year Member
Leipo said:
and more waterchanges: the plants use all the nitrates so it never goes above 5mg/l, what else is there that needs to be removed from my water that comes from the fish?
Dissolved organics. These persist for months before being broken down by bacteria if they're not removed with water changes.

2la

5 Year Member
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. They may be electrically neutral and/or associated with colloids. I don't think TDS meters have the ability to detect such compounds; you'd need some type of biochemical assay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….