• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Camera to see if apistos have eggs

MapleNeil

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a "endoscopic" waterproof camera so that I can put it into the apisto hut and see if they have eggs or fry in there. That way I can give special food for the fry once they are born. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea?

MacZ

Don't. The chance that you make the female give up the spawn is too high. Also, the fry will live off their yolk-sacks for a while before free swimming and actually eating. Relax a bit. ;)

There are huts that are basically just 1/4 of a sphere that you can put directly to the glass. Maybe try one of those. They are based on tricks zoos and documentary filmers use to show the insiede of spawning/nesting caves of all kinds of animals.

MapleNeil

I agree with MacZ. Just hatch BBS every day. If no fry, then the adults will happily eat it.
Wow, I need to feed baby brine shrimp every day just in case one day they have fry? I can get the cubes of frozen baby brine shrimp (instead of the frozen brine shrimp cubes) but I feel like most of it drifts away and goes to waste. I suppose there isn't much bioload in the tank anyway so shouldn't hurt even if they go to waste.

MacZ

If you have established leaf litter in the tank you should have enough infusoria to get them through the first 1-2 days. That way you don't have to have bbs immediately at hand when they come out of the cave. But as soon as they do, you can start hatching bbs. Just have everything ready.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Adults apistos can live long happy lives just living on BBS; no other food needed. I buy it in 1 pound / 1/2 Kg cans and it is the about same price/feeding or cheaper for me than to buy frozen foods. Only problem is they are less attracted to non-live foods. Once one gets experience breeding apistos, the females behavior will tell you that she has eggs/larvea. Then is a good time to start hatching brine shrimp eggs.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Wow, I need to feed baby brine shrimp every day just in case one day they have fry? I can get the cubes of frozen baby brine shrimp (instead of the frozen brine shrimp cubes) but I feel like most of it drifts away and goes to waste. I suppose there isn't much bioload in the tank anyway so shouldn't hurt even if they go to waste.
As I have learned from Mike and many others, live BBS is among the most nutritious food for most fish. All of my tanks get it as a supplement to frozen and dry. Live foods will also help induce breeding. Similar to your experience, my apistos are not enthusiastic about frozen BBS (though they do like other frozen foods).

Unless you have many tanks, a hatchery dish is extremely convenient and doesn’t take much time/effort to hatch every 3 days.

Mitchell Broome

I don't have definitive proof of this, but anecdotally, I also find feeding live foods like baby brine to parents help get them in the mood to spawn more so than other forms of food. So I tend to also throw in live baby brine to pairs I'm trying to get to spawn as well.

anewbie

Do you actually need bbs or will the parents ground up food and spit out for the frys ?

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
I don't have definitive proof of this, but anecdotally, I also find feeding live foods like baby brine to parents help get them in the mood to spawn more so than other forms of food. So I tend to also throw in live baby brine to pairs I'm trying to get to spawn as well.
I´ve heard similar stories.

MapleNeil

I guess I'll start hatching brine shrimp. I watched a video and it doesn't seem that hard. Thanks for the advice

anewbie

This method couldn’t be simpler:

I hatch quite a bit less than this (about 1/4 scoop) and harvest it all within 18 hours.
I have one of those - it works like a charm - the only dislike is the hassle of having to rehatch every other day to keep the bbs fresh and nutrious. The eggs they supply with the initial purchase is enough to last 4 to 6 months depending on how frequently you hatch em.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
The BBS keep well in the fridge, so you can get by with only hatching every 3 days. Because I don’t have many tanks, a 1.75oz jar of cysts will last me many years.

MapleNeil

I got the hatchery dish and voila, the viejita (actually macmasteri) have fry! About 80 fry. I keep giving them baby brine shrimp but I wonder if they are getting enough. How much to feed 80 fries?

MapleNeil

An actual tablespoon full of brine shrimp? All I get from that hatchery is a fraction of a ml in the little cup

MacZ

I was thinking of a teaspoon, sorry.

I just saw what type of hatchery you have. Those have only about 1/3 of the usual hatching rate, so use more eggs.

MacZ

I get > 90% hatch rate using that and typically only use 1/4 to 1/2 of the tiny scoop that comes with the hatchery.

How? I mean, I use a bottle hatchery by now, and gave the dish model to a friend, but still: How do you get to that number?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….