• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides male or female?!

stina

5 Year Member
11012494083263.jpg

same fish... i was thinking that it is a female, but now i doubt it...
11012494729639.jpg

Also is this TripleRed??
11012495933456.jpg

same fish with trifasciata - flashing :D
11012496783714.jpg

TIA
regards

litesky

5 Year Member
For sure males...or...maybe just not yet a female. Btw, I don't think it is a triple red.

stina

5 Year Member
Then, this is a DoubleRed???
Thanx Litesky.... maybe first one turn to be a female...we will see...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
stina,

The A. cacatuoides looks like a young male. Double red fish have red in the dorsal & caudal fin. Triple red have red in the dorsal, caudal, & anal fin. In this case you have triple red.

stina

5 Year Member
Mike thanx!
I have read somewhere on this forum about TripleRed, and i see that my little caca has some spots on anal fin also, so i have come to conclusion that this is TripleRed...even the small things count :lol:

Is there any chance hat this male turn to female!??
They are really getting along now, but if they are both males, thing will get worse - right?!!?
I will buy some more females in one other LFS, but they have only pale OrangeFlash... well maybe the youngsters will look more like dad... :wink:
regards

litesky

5 Year Member
Wow..am I that blind? I don't see any red at all. All i see is a bit of orange and yellow. Do please explain why these cacs would be considered triple red.

stina

5 Year Member
litsky, somebody sad that when cacas are small they are more orange then red...and when they growe up, they will show their true red colors...
Am i right or wrong!?
BTW, male on bottom pic has some spots(2 of them) on anal fin.

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'Mine both have black ventral, so does this make them both females?'

almost 100% for sure both females. however i have a fish which i'm not sure about, it looks very much like this fish by zapisto:

http://www.ca.sakura.ne.jp/~adh/gallery/Images/apcm19980906-01.jpg

this is the only fish i have heard of that didn't follow the black ventrals rule concerning cacatuoides. zapisto stated that this fish did indeed fertilise eggs and have viable fry. my cac does show slightly black ventrals at times, yet seems male in all other respects.

as with most species, the female lays the eggs, and the male fertilises them. even if yours are male and female, until breeding ocurrs, that will be the only sure way to tell. many fish exhibit 'classic' sexual characteristics, then turn out to be the other sex.

rick

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Thanks Rick
They are still young, no long fins yet. I will keep my fingers crossed that I so have a pair. If not I will know I have to get one...if not 2 males.

A

Anchor

Cacatuoides I think?

I'm a newbie at dwarfs -- just got 5 today and added them to a 65 gallon planted hex. Right now they are all green with black stripes. 1/2" long. When will I begin to see colors and which variety are these likely? How do I post photos?

cdawson

5 Year Member
Anchor said:
I'm a newbie at dwarfs -- just got 5 today and added them to a 65 gallon planted hex. Right now they are all green with black stripes. 1/2" long. When will I begin to see colors and which variety are these likely? How do I post photos?

Your guess is as good as mine, we'd need pictures to identify them.

green with black stripes doesn't sound like an apisto though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….