• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding trouble

cichlidmac

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with my agassizii. They have spawned 5 or 6 times and still no fry.

My water parameters are ph 6.2 dgh 2 dkh 2 temp 79°f

Any ideas why I'm not seeing fry?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

regani

5 Year Member
they may not feel secure enough to start raising the fry, maybe? the water should be ok, mine breed in similar water.
is there anything else in the tank that could eat the eggs?

cichlidmac

This is the tank.
uploadfromtaptalk1367123245339.jpg

I added 2 praecox rainbows so the female would stop attacking the male and it worked. They haven't been allowed anywhere near the eggs.

regani

5 Year Member
Those flowerpots are huge and the back one points into the open so everyone can see in - they are cave spawners, not exhibitionists :) Try to find some caves with an opening just big enough to let the female in, examples in the picture below are a small (ca. 2 inch diameter) flowerpot with the large opening sealed and a small hole in the top, a small terracotta pot often used for aquatic plants, and a piece of driftwood with some hollows. The DW can be placed on the sand and the female will excavate a cave large enough for her own needs. Coconut shells with a hole cut out will also work.

cichlidmac

They spawn in them constantly. Just can't figure out why I don't get fry.

regani

5 Year Member
if there are no problems with the water, my guess would still be that they don't feel secure enough to raise fry and eat the eggs.
some pairs also seem to need a few attempts before they get to the part of raising the fry, so it may still work out...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree with the others. The pots are too open. Just tip them bottom side up and prop them so there is a small opening at the bottom. The opening only needs to be large enough for the female to enter.

cichlidmac

I have to agree with the others. The pots are too open. Just tip them bottom side up and prop them so there is a small opening at the bottom. The opening only needs to be large enough for the female to enter.
Will do

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….