• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding tank

Big G

5 Year Member
Hi there folks!

This is my first post on this forum, so a big hello!

I have ordered some apistos for breeding, and would like some advice for the tanks...

I have Two 1.2m tanks (240") and was planning on dividing them up so that I can put one pair in each section. Would the space be too small if I split the tank into three 80L sections, or would I be better leaving it as two 120L sections?

Another question, how long should/can the fry be left in with their parents?

I have ordered the following...

Ap. Agassizi 'Alenque'
Ap. Agassizi 'Double Red, Blue Body'
Ap. Agassizi 'White Seam'
Ap. Cacatuoides 'Super Red'

I already have an Ap. Cacatuoides 'Sunburst' pair in my main community tank.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Regards!
Big G!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A 1.2m tank is about 4 foot long or 48". If you're going to divide it up I you could split them into three sections, each 16" long. How wide is the tank? If it's 2ft wide then you'd still have pretty big compartments. In fact if it's 18" or 2ft wide you could divide the tanks up into 12" long compartments giving you 4 sections!

If you divide the tank up through make sure the partitions are very tight as you don't want fry from one form of a species mxing with another as you will never tell the different forms apart and just end up with mixed batches.

Keeping your pairs in one divided tank would give you the other tank for rearing the fry as each pair you breed will need another tank or two to raise the fry in after you separate them. I'll leave the experts to say how long to leave the fry together but I try and leave them as long as possible until they start wandering off too much or the parents look like spawning again.

Big G

5 Year Member
Cheers Ed! Thanks for that! I think I'll just go for three compartments? Feels a little like battery chickens (or rather Apistos) if I went any smaller! The tank is 18" or 45cm width! The first post should have read 240L rather than 240"! Cheers! Big G!

Big G

5 Year Member
Hey! I am getting them from a guy in Johannesburg, South Africa, whom I believe is sourcing them from the east somewhere? Presumably Singapore, but I really am not sure? I am expecting them to eat their eggs a few times, but hopefully they will get the right idea eventually? Cheers! Big G!

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Hey! I am getting them from a guy in Johannesburg, South Africa, whom I believe is sourcing them from the east somewhere? Presumably Singapore, but I really am not sure? I am expecting them to eat their eggs a few times, but hopefully they will get the right idea eventually? Cheers! Big G!
Very cool! Lucky you!
I assume your from south africa? I am from Minnesota, US and have been looking for a trust worthy person to get some of the different apistos as well! A few of my LFS, have cacatuiodes, but not many of the rarer species! Anyway good luck and keep us posted! With pics of course! :biggrin:

calypso

5 Year Member
Very cool! Lucky you!
I assume your from south africa? I am from Minnesota, US and have been looking for a trust worthy person to get some of the different apistos as well! A few of my LFS, have cacatuiodes, but not many of the rarer species! Anyway good luck and keep us posted! With pics of course! :biggrin:

have you tried ordering off the internet? southern apistos (based out of florida) has a pretty good selection as well as some decent prices. i havent ordered anything from them yet, but i hear good things. of course, since youre in minnesota, id wait till it warms up a bit to order anything from them...

Big G

5 Year Member
Very cool! Lucky you!

I am originally from the UK, but have lived in Cape town for the past 5 years or so! Since moving out here, I've restarted my fish keeping, and now want to develop it into a hobby that 'pays for itself'!

Good look on the search! mine should hopefully arrive in the next week or so, so we'll see?? I'll post pics if i am able to take decent ones!

Regards
Big G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….