• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Aggies

S

stever521

Hi I am new to this forum and have a question about some Aggies, it seems that I have a male and two females in my 30gal tank that have paired up and possibly spawned they have killed two fish so far and are chasing one male (i can't seem to catch) and one female the two females that have located them self on each end of the tank ( they are both bright gold) will chase off the one female and the dominate male will chase the younger male, this is all in a well planted tank is it worth tearing down the tank to catch the other two fish or will they find at some point a working division in the tank or does this sound as though they've spawned?

Thank you for any input to this matter

Kyle

Randall

5 Year Member
Spawning Aggies

Dear Kyle,

Are all the fish to which you refer in your 30-gallon tank Aggies? Also, are there any other fish with them?

Randall Kohn

S

stever521

Yes they are all aggies, and no there are no other fish with them just amano shrimp to eat the algae. The aggies are a timid fish in my experience and I did'nt want to spook them with other fish since my goal is for them to spawn some day(this seems to be difficult for me).

Neil

stever521,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I wouldn't quite call aggies "timid". They can be fairly aggressive at times - breeding for example. Cichlids are always more aggressive with conspecifics (the same kind of fish). How many aggies do you have in this tank total - 5? If that is the case, I think that it is reasonable to leave them alone. The subdominant male might get his footing and mate with one of the females on one side while the other male mate with a female on the other. If not, there sounds like there is enough cover and space to provide ample protection to the lone fish in the tank. This kind of a set-up can be quite interesting to witness many complex behaviors. Have fun.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….