• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli sub-species

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I got 1m/2f borelli, and 1m/1f opal. What will happen if they cross breed? Will they develop deformaties? OR since they are so closely realted will one be dominant the other?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

The common "yellow/ blue Borellii and the Opal Borellii are just two colour strains. Since the Borellii is a highly polychromated species you can find both colour strains at the very same collecting site in nature.

In the early eighties a lot of people beleived that the Opal was a separate species. And the Opals were line breed in former DDR. So the Opal colour strain became quite stabile.

So, the answer is that you can "crossbreed" without any hesitations. It´s quite normal in the nature also. :)

Best regards/ Per

Kenny Poh

5 Year Member
Does that mean that if I were to have a pair of yellow/blue borelli pairs, I may end up with frys showing either phenotypes?

Cheers,

Kenny

Discus Man

5 Year Member
no, not a new species, just lovely little borelli. Some people worry about hbridization... this isn't the same thing.
Now don't labe; the fish anything other than borelli if you get fry just so buyers know they are getting simply a borelli of mixed heritage! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….