• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian Rams and German Blue Rams

M

meenie

would they cohabitate in a 40L tank together? There are 5 German Blues in there now with 2 syno's and 2 pictus cats. Thinking about adding 5 bolivians. I could set up a separate tank if needed......

M

meenie

oh well, nobody's going in there right now, came home today and found that I've got a budding case of Ich :( . Hopefully I'm starting treatment (raising temp and adding maracide) in time to keep it from getting out of control, everyone still seems lively and eager to see me.

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
you might get them to work. watch the Bolivians. I have seen them pummel some blues mercilessly.

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Personally, I've never had any problems keeping blues and bolivians together. My bane has been trying to keep those nasty little pictus with anything softer than a rock. Nassssty Pictusssessss, we hatessss them.

2la

5 Year Member
10 dwarf cichlids in a 10-gallon tank? Frankly I think this tank is already well overstocked. The smallest synodontid is about 3" long, pictus cats reach 5" in length, and both are way too active to be housed in a 10G!

2la

5 Year Member
Bioload-wise your tank can certainly handle it, but it then becomes a question of aesthetics. These species are not schooling fish per se, as they'd rather define their own territories. It's part of their charm, IMO. When you put a lot of them in tank of a size that's inadequate for all of them to claim a little territory, you lose that behavior and thus part of their charm. Additionally, it may turn out that only one pair will be able to claim a territory (becoming the alpha-pair), and they'll suppress the others' ability to attain full coloration by their dominant behavior. Personally, I think going with a pair of each would be much more enjoyable, but that's just my opinion.

M

meenie

I'll probably set up another tank before I get the new fish. 2 pairs of rams have formed up in the current tank, I'll have to find a place for a 3rd female I have that's getting chased alot in the middle. thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….