• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Boil Leaf Litter?

HookedOnFish_MI

Do I boil the leaves (Magnolia) before putting them in, or just let them float until they eventually sink? I’ve seen mixed thoughts. Also, should I add alder cones as well? PH is 7.5 and I don’t have a leaf litter bed yet.

MacZ

The boiling is mostly just so that they immediately sink or to extract just the tannins. It's your choice, both is acceptable.
Sure you can add the cones, too, just be sparse with them, they can tint the water so strongly, some plants may not do well in it. I only use a 5-6 alder cones on my tank each time and I only hang them in the tank in a small filtermedia bag, take them out after 2-3 days, dry them and reuse them. It's abit like using a teabag twice. But you can just add the same amount directly every month. The leaves I add every 3 weeks. Also 5-6 pieces. Though they stay in the tank indefinitely.

As I said in the other thread, with your KH it's unlikely there will be much change in pH.

HookedOnFish_MI

The boiling is mostly just so that they immediately sink or to extract just the tannins. It's your choice, both is acceptable.
Sure you can add the cones, too, just be sparse with them, they can tint the water so strongly, some plants may not do well in it. I only use a 5-6 alder cones on my tank each time and I only hang them in the tank in a small filtermedia bag, take them out after 2-3 days, dry them and reuse them. It's abit like using a teabag twice. But you can just add the same amount directly every month. The leaves I add every 3 weeks. Also 5-6 pieces. Though they stay in the tank indefinitely.

As I said in the other thread, with your KH it's unlikely there will be much change in pH.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll wait to see how the leaves tint the water before considering the cones as well.

yukondog

5 Year Member
It really depends on wear I pick them up from, if suspect boil, in my yard drop and let them soak on there own.. Just make sure they are dead and dried.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do I boil the leaves (Magnolia) before putting them in, or just let them float until they eventually sink? I’ve seen mixed thoughts. Also, should I add alder cones as well?
Don't boil them, just chuck them in, they will sink in a couple of days. You don't get a whole lot of tannins from the leaves, much more from the Alder cones.

cheers Darrel

HookedOnFish_MI

Hi all,

Don't boil them, just chuck them in, they will sink in a couple of days. You don't get a whole lot of tannins from the leaves, much more from the Alder cones.

cheers Darrel
Thank you. The leaves arrived today. Once I find another large piece of wood I’ll throw them in without boiling.

MacZ

I always boil them for a minute or two...you are never sure what happened with them before in the park ;)

The OP bought the leaves. Those should be safe.

And when collecting yourself, like I do, why boiling besides for immediate sinking? Drying them properly is far more effective and usually terrestrial pathogens do very poor underwater anyways. Too much of the good stuff is lost when boiling. (unless the water is then cooled down and added to the tank aswell.)

Samala

For magnolia, particularly grandiflora and virginiana which are what I use, the leaves usually become covered in very dense, short, white fungus on the underside for the first several weeks. Boiling does seem to reduce the fungus. Helpful if you are adding several leaves and don't want the fungus outbreak to be too untidy.

I don't find boiling magnolia does much to reduce the tannins they release. There doesn't seem to be much anyway. The leaves from the various oak (especially live oak) do much more but also break down more quickly. Magnolia lasts 6 months or so.

I've taken to zapping wet leaves in the microwave to kill anything unwanted if I'm uncertain how long they were on the ground or hoping to reduce fungus load. Drying leaves sounds laborious to me; I live in a very humid and wet climate.

Fwiw, snails and fry seem to love foraging in it. Doesn't seem to spread.

themountain

5 Year Member
The OP bought the leaves. Those should be safe.

And when collecting yourself, like I do, why boiling besides for immediate sinking? Drying them properly is far more effective and usually terrestrial pathogens do very poor underwater anyways. Too much of the good stuff is lost when boiling. (unless the water is then cooled down and added to the tank aswell.)
I would like to have your trust in seller.... anyhow ...a minute or two in boiling water dont degredate the "ggod stuff" in leaves ...I am pretty sure about that.

HookedOnFish_MI

I would like to have your trust in seller.... anyhow ...a minute or two in boiling water dont degredate the "ggod stuff" in leaves ...I am pretty sure about that.
This is what I purchased. I did soak in a bucket of close to boiling water until they sank before adding to my tank.

CA7B7F23-CD91-4E5F-A6C5-94C67E95E67C.png

Samala

How is the tank doing with all the leaves? Any cloudiness or signs of fungus? I've never added so many at once but your setup is much bigger.

MacZ

Again, I collect my leaves myself, but I have no reason to not trust a manufacturer until signs of quality issues arise.
I did not mean it's lost by degradation, but simply because many people chugg away the water the leaves are boiled in and boiling solves a lot more of the colouing tannins out of the leaves than just a short brew-over.

HookedOnFish_MI

How is the tank doing with all the leaves? Any cloudiness or signs of fungus? I've never added so many at once but your setup is much bigger.
It’s looking great! I see how important they are because I’ve seen a female lose a chasing male a couple times by ducking under a pile of leaves. I just hope the females will eventually stop hiding and start feeling frisky

53E9F7B4-2933-488B-9E26-0D0FCC790BB3.jpeg

Samala

Really looking great! Yes, magnolia are by far my favorite because they create so many nooks and hiding spots. My fish use them as their spawning caves too.

themountain

5 Year Member
It’s looking great! I see how important they are because I’ve seen a female lose a chasing male a couple times by ducking under a pile of leaves. I just hope the females will eventually stop hiding and start feeling frisky

View attachment 10032
Wow...sqeaky clean ... I would reduce the light a bit or chuck some floating plants in it .... Nice hardscape though;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….