• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bad idea or no?

tetraboy

5 Year Member
Looking to restock my planted 10g, wondering if a pair of A. Cacatuoides might fit. My water is a bit on the hard side -pH above 7.6, somewhere between 150 and 200 ppm hardness. I know they likely wouldn't breed in this but would they survive? could they be happy? Or should I go back to hunting down those killifish that seem to have disappeared from the shops just when I need them? :?

Neil

tetraboy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Cacatuoides are pretty forgiving of water conditions, unless they are too dramatic. I think the key for you would be water changes. If you keep the water very clean, you may well breed them in that water. However, the clutch size may be affected somewhat. For general husbandry, I agree with the others.
Neil

tetraboy

5 Year Member
:D Wow! thanks guys. I think I definitely will give these fish a try (-they are terribly cute! 8) )

vancat

5 Year Member
tetra-boy,
you will soon be changing your name to apisto-boy.

cacatuoides have become my absolute favorite.

ex-tetra-girl

tetraboy

5 Year Member
Update

If anyone should happen to read this I can tell you I did decide to go with A. Cac.'s and they are doing well :) . I've barely had them for 2 weeks and today I saw a clutch of eggs :D . This is going to be interesting! 8)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….