• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aspio Biotope

B

Big Foot

Hello All

I am thinking of seting up a biotope for Apistogramma cacatuoides. Im thinking around a 48" x 20 " x 15"H tank. I will use one of the 20" sides to represent the bank, with dark coloured sand starting at around 10-12" high and sloping down.

I will create lots of caves using PVC plumbing pipe, buried in the sand. On top of this I will place lots of small pices of bog wood to repersent the leaf litter.

Lots of root like bog wood will be placed at the bank.

The only plants will be floating to provide shade, I will use a large school of Hachetfish for dithers.

What do you think? Any ideas to enhance the effect?

How many female cacatuoides should I place in the tank for the male?

Thanks

Jamie

Neil

farm41 is right, but it is pretty tough to make caves in the bank of gravel. I think that your better bet would be to have some leaf litter on the bank. Most apisto biotopes contain leaves that have fallen from trees, even when there is basically nothing else on the bottom (except maybe roots.
I think it is a very cool idea. Hope you take some pics.
Neil

MyLifeAsAFish

5 Year Member
Neil, What effects would the leaf litter have on the water quality? Effects on ph? Higher nitrates or anything. Would more frequent water changes be needed? Are the leaves just left to deteriorate and more added when needed? How thick would you want the layer of leaves to be? I'm very interested in the biotopes of the apisto's.

Spring :)

farm41

5 Year Member
I am using oak leaves in 3 of my apisto tanks, I have panduro's with 4 week old fry in one 10g, and they have great cover. The other 2 are holding Inca 50 in QT, and 1 of the pair just today has free swimming fry. I love the leaf look and so far they haven't even the hint of breaking down, and the leaves have been in for weeks. What I have read about using leaves is that they are mostly cellulose, if they are used when fallen off the tree and collected after drying. It sounds like they won't contribute to the nitrates. I am going to go out and collect a couple of bags full and dry them for future use.

Oak leaves are slightly acidic, so that's double the benefit for us apisto nuts.

aspen

5 Year Member
leaves will curl, this makes the caves they need, and is more natural looking. or, when you lay one on top of another, this will also create a 'cave'. as farm says, oak leaves will lower the ph naturally, similar to using peat. many people use them instead of peat, or in combination with peat and soft water.

if you are changing water regularly, and refreshing the leaves, nitrates should not be a problem. but clean clean clean, should be in the front of your mind when either just keeping apistos or trying to breed them. apistos do NOT thrive in dirty water, but also, apistos aren't dirty fish like oscars or discus. the trick with apistos is not to have too many in each tank. use a single pair, plus a tetra species as a dither, and agression will not be a problem between agressive males. also, cories are effective egg eaters, i won't keep them with my apistos.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I love my cory's, but you are right, they eat the heck out of the eggs. I had some with rams, and the ram's kept after the cory's constantly, but could not even divert the cory's path.

I like to keep MTS in my tanks, they do a great job on uneaten food, and you find out fast if you are overfeeding. The population explodes.

farm41

5 Year Member
Malaysian Trumpet Snails, they don't eat plants and they burrow in the substrate during the day keeping it stirred up. They will come out at night and clean up any uneaten food.

My kind of snail 8)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….