• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aquarium photography

cichlidmac

Hey all, I just bought a cannon eos 20D with a taf 70-300mm lens for 230 bucks on Ebay. I couldn't pass up that price. I was originally going to get a t3i but this price was better. Is this a good camera and will this lenses work for fish photos?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Although the camera was introduced 9 years ago (April 2004) and its 8mp sensor, autofocus, etc. are no longer 'state of the art', it's still a very good camera. The Tamron 70-300mm lenes are inexpensive zooms and, depending on which model it is, its 'macro' mode really isn't true macro (defined as able to photograph at a minimum of 1:2 ratio). For the money it's not too bad optically, just don't expect miracles. To be totally honest, the close focusing mode of this lens should be fine for adult apistos. Now you just need to practice - a lot. The nice thing is that, being digital, it doesn't cost money to experiment. You eventually may find that you'll want to buy a dedicated flash or 2 for the system. Being able to move the flash off to the top/side can help greatly with exposures.

cichlidmac

Although the camera was introduced 9 years ago (April 2004) and its 8mp sensor, autofocus, etc. are no longer 'state of the art', it's still a very good camera. The Tamron 70-300mm lenes are inexpensive zooms and, depending on which model it is, its 'macro' mode really isn't true macro (defined as able to photograph at a minimum of 1:2 ratio). For the money it's not too bad optically, just don't expect miracles. To be totally honest, the close focusing mode of this lens should be fine for adult apistos. Now you just need to practice - a lot. The nice thing is that, being digital, it doesn't cost money to experiment. You eventually may find that you'll want to buy a dedicated flash or 2 for the system. Being able to move the flash off to the top/side can help greatly with exposures.
Thanks Mike! I wonder if I can find a question you don't know the answer to. ;)

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, 'life, the universe and everything' - and it ain't 42!:D On a more serious side, I just got a new DSLR to replace the one stolen while in Peru. I now get a chance to try out my Cactus V radio transmitters, used to remotely trigger flashes off camera. They are designed for non-dedicated flashes, but then I'm 'old school' (my first SLR was bought in a PX in Vietnam in 1968) and tend to be more of a 'strobist' (Google it, if you don't know what this means).

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about the 75mm to 300mm lense, but I take all my photos using an 18mm - 135mm lens with the lens extended to the 135 range, standing about six to 12 inches away from the glass. When I use a flash, I tilt the camera down at an angle (camera mounted flash) to minimize the flash kickback. But normally, I just put an extra light on the tank and set my ISO around 1600.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Hi Mike, I am glad to hear you got a new camera. Maybe you can practice ( and then posting here) by taking pictures of your fishroom:) .

george

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My fishroom??:eek: It hasn't really changed in 30 years - a real mess of mixed all-glass & metal framed tanks covered in algae/duckweed. Sorry, but I don't want to scare everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….