• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mac male won't leave female(?) alone

PexGat

Hey guys,
I bought the (supposed) pair of macs below a couple weeks ago, they're still in the quarantine tank, but the male (1) won't leave the female (2) alone. I'm even doubting if she is indeed a female, since it's my first pair of macs and, not being experienced enough with this species, seems to be a sneaker male. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding it's gender, and I apologize for the bad picture, I couldn't get her to come out in the open without the male brutally chasing her.
IMG_20200625_012003.jpg
IMG_20200625_011912.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"She" probably is female from what little I can see. Are you hoping to breed them? If so, my suggestion is to quarantine them separately for now. Maybe use the (I hope) breeding tank as the female's quarantine tank. Either way introduce the female into the pair's new home at least a week before putting the male in with her. This gives her a chance to orient herself to her new home. This should give her a better chance at finding her own territory.

BTW your quarantine tank, with live plants, gravel, etc. isn't the best for quarantine. If you get some kind of nasty outbreak you'll need to sterilize the tank and everything in it. That means destroying plants and boiling/bleaching gravel and hard surface items. Quarantine tanks should be simply decorated (I use 4"/10 cm long pieces of PVC pipe, a sponge filter and no substrate (all easily sterilized).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….