• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aqua Soil

Csr

Need some help deciding which aqua soil works best for a planted aquarium and for breeding Apistos.
Also which is best for lowering PH levels.

The 2 that I have in mind are
Aqua Soil Malaya and Africana.

Thanks in advance

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
The main difference between the types is colour, although amazonia has a greater level of nutrients and affects the pH more when first used. They will all release ammonia when first wetted so make sure you don't have fish in the tank at the start.

When I've used AS with apistos I have always used sand for the parts where the caves are positioned as I feel the larger particles of the AS are trickier for them to dig in. If you want to use AS throughout then try the powder type instead maybe?

Csr

So should I sprinkle some of the sand soil on those spots?
Just wondering as to why the AS makes it difficult for them to dig, isn't it about the same as regular gravel? (Yes a beginners question)

How long should I wait for after initial set-up to put fish in?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
So should I sprinkle some of the sand soil on those spots?
Just wondering as to why the AS makes it difficult for them to dig, isn't it about the same as regular gravel? (Yes a beginners question)

How long should I wait for after initial set-up to put fish in?

Ordinary gravel isn't the best for apistos to dig in. With sand they can take big moughtfuls and move it easily - gravel can be much trickier. AS is about the same size as medium gravel IME and while the fish can dig in it they don't seem to like doing it as much as in sand. It's not that you can't use it - I just prefer to use sand for them.

If you sprinkle sand on top of AS it will fall in between the grains and disappear! Even if you add enough for it to be seen at first, a bit of digging from the fish will bring the larger particled and lighter AS to the surface with the sand falling to the bottom. The best way to do it is to make a beach at the front or one end of the tank with a plastic divider buried in the substrate to keep them split.

If it's a brand new tank with a brand new filter I'd look to set it up, plant it and then crank your CO2 up (if you're using it) and leave for a fortnight at least. Do large water changes (50% every couple of days) to prevent the ammonia being released by the AS triggering algae blooms. Once the tank settles down and the plants start growing you can cut back the water changes and then start stocking. I'd add Otocinclus, nerites and shrimp first to consume any algae that may grow, then add some shoaling fish a couple of weeks after them and finish off with the cichlids once everything else is settled.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

Maybe worth to consider to have silica sand as substrate, an for plants pot them in a terracotta pot with the soil mixture. This has in my view 2positives.
1 the apistos can dig which they like and 2 you can then move the pots around to different tanks etc and they add another dimension. This is just my view. cheers jk :cool:

Csr

The best way to do it is to make a beach at the front or one end of the tank with a plastic divider buried in the substrate to keep them split.

Have a link Please, so I can get an idea of how it should be done (the right way that is)

Thanks

About using clay pots for breeding.
I saw somewhere to cut a hole small enough for the female to get it but not the male. So that would mean put the pot upside down? or Just lay them sideways?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Have a link Please, so I can get an idea of how it should be done (the right way that is)

Thanks

About using clay pots for breeding.
I saw somewhere to cut a hole small enough for the female to get it but not the male. So that would mean put the pot upside down? or Just lay them sideways?

I haven't got a link but I just cut pieces from the side of an old lunch box and buried it so it sat just under the surface.

With the clay pots I either use pot drip trays or small pots on their side and make the hole in the base larger for the female to get in.

Csr

Having a hard time trying to find terracotta pots here in Spain.
Been to 3 flower shops and they don't have nor know where to get them.
Sucks.

Ordering my tank today. Thinking about the MP Scubaline 80. Any thoughts?

Also about the Aqual soil I got this from ADG

"When using Powder-type Aqua Soil in your layout, only a thin layer on top of Normal-type Aqua Soil is necessary. About 1/2 inch on average is suitable. Using too much Powder-type (more than about 1 inch) can cause problems later on such as excessive "dust" when uprooting plants and/or restricted water circulation through the substrate."

Not saying that you are wrong. Any help is always useful.
Do you think that I should just do it the way the say?

Thank
-Cesar

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
The powder type AS is very different from using normal sand - it is as light as the normal AS so won't settle down among the larger grains as quickly.

What type of clay pots do you have in Spain?

bigbird

5 Year Member
I would not use the plastic ones. I cannot believe that you have no terracota pots in your area. Keep on looking, but in my view plastic is no good. cheers jk :cool:

Csr

Going tomorrow to my LFS as the new stuff comes in.

Last minute questions.
Filter media Which would you guys recommend
Dennerle Turbo Filter or Eheim products?

Which Should I pick up?
List please.
Thanks again

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
You can always use 1/2 coconut if you can't find clay pots for caves. Just cut a notch in the edge for the female.

If you want a substrate with some CEC, you can use a Bonsai soil like "Akadama" or "Seramis", or the calcined "Moler clay" (or montmorillonite) granules that they use to mop up oil spills or as cat litter. These won't effect your pH either way however.

I'm really pleased with the moler clay "Tesco light-weight non-clumping cat litter" I'm using in a planted Nano aquarium (not with Cichlids). The only down side is that it takes a lot of washing to get rid of the added perfume. It is very cheap to buy.

cheers Darrel

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
For filter material I'd get some sintered glass media, the brand doesn't really matter IMHO. I've got JBL media from the internet as it was far cheaper than my LFS.

Robert Paul Hudson

Sand may raise the pH significantly depending on what its formed from. It is often crushed coral and clamshell. If you can get quartz sand that should be neutral. Coconut shells actually work ver well as caves. You just want to clean and sterilize it to get all the hair off the shell. Java moss grows on the shell very easily, so you end up with a moss cave. Very cool

Ed gave you a link for someone selling terra cotta caves. You definetly don't want Africana. Thats for hard water cichlids.

Csr

I went with Aqua soil Amazonia powder type.
I'm waiting on my Hydor 200w heater.
Finally have terracotta pots.

They had a CO2 kit, by AquaGro. Is it worth getting?
Or should I opt to get this one JBL ProFlora m602?
Don't really have experience in building a kit myself.

I got a free box of Eheim Torf pellets. Should I use that in my filter? Or just do away with it?

Thanks guys

Csr

Need one last item.
Having trouble deciding between
JBL Proflora m602 or the JBL Proflora u402

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a JBL kit with solenoid and disposable CO2 canister but I'd get a better reg and solenoid pff Ebay and use a CO2 fire extinguisher instead - you won't need to refill anywhere near as often and I bet the cost will be about the same. I'm afraid I don't know the kits you listed.

If those Ehiem pellets are sintered glass or similar then use them. If you don't like them in the future you can always swap them.

Csr

Here are the models. (Not getting them from any site though)
http://www.123aquatics.co.uk/products/aquarium/co2-systems/jblprofloraco2setm602-1082.aspx

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Produktinformationen/JBL-ProFlora-u402-CO--Fertilizer-Set.htm <---leaning on this one cause it has a disposable tank.

There's a 403 model with a pH computer and clearly says
"The control unit on the Proflora m603 requires the addition of a pH sensor (NOT included) to function. <-Isn't good for me if I have to buy more stuff.

About the reg and solenoid from ebay. What exactly would I be looking for.
Price range wise. (A link to one you think is good)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….