• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and GBR

fishscale

5 Year Member
I know this combination has been asked many, many times, but I would just like to know the specifics of different variations of these two. First, my tank will be a heavily planted 55g. Second, I would like to keep A. Cacatuoides. I know the general consensus is that the GBR(s) will be bullied. Does it matter whether the apisto(s) are male or female? I would really like to have a male apisto for the coloring. Does it matter if the apisto is in a pair or not? I am thinking about a trio of apistos and a pair of rams, but I can change this to a pair of apistos and a pair of rams, or just one male, or whatever, but I'd just like to know if pairing off makes a difference in aggression. Finally, does the size of the fish at introduction matter? I can find juvenile GBR's at 1", but have a hard time finding juvenile apistos. This doesn't really help in my situation, but again, just asking for info.

fishscale

5 Year Member
Thanks for letting me know, what exactly are the temperature preferences? This may play a role in ultimately deciding what fish to get. I really like how double or triple red cacatuoides look, but they might be more trouble than they're worth.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. cacatuoides prefer temperatures below 80ºF/27ºC. For general maintenance 75ºF/24ºC is fine; for breeding raise to 78ºF/26ºC.

M. ramirezi prefer temperatures above 82ºF/28ºC. Breeding is best done above 84ºF/29ºC.

fishscale

5 Year Member
Hmmm, so GBR's would make good tankmates for discus?

Here is what I am considering stocking (not all of it, just trying to see what will fit together):

Apistogramma Cacatuoides
GBR
Angelfish (probably just one, if any)
Cardinals Tetras
Diamond Tetras
Rummynose Tetras

I've really got my heart set on the cardinal tetras, everything else can be exchanged. Based on the temperature preferences, would you recommend apistogramma or GBR?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you keep the temperature on the low side, your Rams will be more sluggish and more susceptible to diseases. If you keep your temperature on the high side, your other fish will age more quickly (most are short-lived anyway). Since this is a community (not a breeding) tank, my suggestion would be:

Cardinal/Red Neon Tetras (8 - 10)
Rummy Nose/Red-head Tetras (8 - 10)
Diamond/Pittieri Tetras (8 - 10)
A. cacatuoides (2 - 3 males)
Corydoras species (6)
You might want to go with 2 fewer of each tetra species and add 6 - 8 surface-dwelling fish like hatchetfish or pencilfish.

These should get along well & fill most of the zones of the aquarium.

fishscale

5 Year Member
Will the male apistos fight? I didn't know I could keep more than one male together without a great number of females.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In an properly decorated 55 you should have enough room for 2 males to form territories. They will interact, but little damage will be done if they are the same size. Without females, there is little other to fight about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….