• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Xingu suruni

Mark

5 Year Member
Hello all,

Does anybody know the fish that is exported by the name Apistogramma sp. Suruni Xingu ? Seems to be a nice fish as it has the highest price on the list. I can't find any info on this name in the books or on the internet so I hope someone here knows the fish. If you do please let me know.

Mark

Mark

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. I have had contact with an American seller of this fish and he says it is the normal sp. Xingu with a collecting place added to it. Whether it is a nice or grey colourform I don't know. The fish will come in soon; wenn they are in the tanks I will try to make photo's.

Mark

Mark

5 Year Member
The fish have come in and they are sp. Vielfleck or sp. aff. Peixoto. Wenn the fish are doing good I will make photo's.
Some of the fish have white spots/balls (much bigger than whitespot disease) on their fins. I know I have seen it on sp. Vielfleck before and it is some kind of disease. I did try some medications, but none of them worked. Does anybody have an idea?

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is probably a viral disease (lymphocystis). Healthy fish usually heal by themselves. Otherwise cut off the parts of the fins with the growths. The parts of the fins grow back.

A. sp. Xingu, sp. aff. Peixoto, and sp. Xingu appear to be genetically the same species - only color morphs.

Mark

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks again. But if it is a virusinfection I should isolate the fish that have the symptoms? I don't want my fish to get the same virus.
The fish are doing fine and I think I can make some photo's in a couple of days.

Mark

Mark

5 Year Member
I quaratine mine too, but I am talking about the Apisto's of the same group which are not showing the white spots. They probably have encountered the virus before, but keeping them together with the sick ones is not a good idea. But netting them out and keeping them separated will give stress...

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it is Lymphocystis, the other fish are already infected. If there is anything good about this virus, it is that it is not very contagious to healthy fish and good quality water and food cures infected fish quickly. I would leave the fish together and keep the water top quality.

Mark

5 Year Member
Some pictures of the A. xingu suruni which I think are A. vielfleck.

goed1.jpg

goed2.jpg

goed3.jpg

goed4.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish don't have the spotting on the body typical of the Vielfleck/Multi-spot populations of A. sp. Xingu. They look more like the typical A. sp. Xingu population to me, but maybe the spots don't show in the photos.

dfea

5 Year Member
I believe I read somewhere that Lymphocystis is kind of species specific, meaning that any particular strain can only be transmitted to closely related species. Does anyone know it this is correct?

- Dan

Mark

5 Year Member
It doesn't show on the photo's but they do have the spotting. The fish are still young and not showing their colours. Sometimes they do show some colour and then they show the spotting on the body (the head is always spotted).

I had these before (6 years ago) and they had the same white spots. It is the only species I have had that shows these spots. All the Peru and amazon fish (agassizi, bitaeniata, gibbiceps etc) never had these kind of spots. The first time the spots were bigger and did not react on any medication. I have cut the pieces of fin on which the spots were found and got rid of the disease. It is not a nice way to solve a disease, but it worked (the fins grow back).

Mark

sortoxassub

5 Year Member
i have 3 and they eat like there is no tomorrow. they are 5 to 7 inches in size. i have had them for just over a year, when i got them they were about an inch long. very cool fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
i have 3 and they eat like there is no tomorrow. they are 5 to 7 inches in size. i have had them for just over a year, when i got them they were about an inch long. very cool fish.

I wonder if you have some other species. No known Apistogramma ever reaches 5 inches - even in an aquarium. The largest size apisto in the hobby is probably A. geisleri (type form), which reportedly grows to 11.5 cm/4½ in. TL (but not in the wild). The newly discovered species "A. sp. Gigas" might grow larger, but I'm not sure. Certainly no apisto grows to 7 inches!

williamlin

5 Year Member
Hello all,

Does anybody know the fish that is exported by the name Apistogramma sp. Suruni Xingu ? Seems to be a nice fish as it has the highest price on the list. I can't find any info on this name in the books or on the internet so I hope someone here knows the fish. If you do please let me know.

Mark

Hello all,
I have got Apistogramma sp. Suruni Xingu for 3 month

http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php?id=williamj2423&book=2 <---the photo

Mark

5 Year Member
xingu suruni/vielfleck

The fish have grown and coloured up. I think it is the Vielfleck variant as the male shows the spots on the side of the body. Not very nice pictures but it shows the spots on the male:

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….