• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma tucurui

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Well it looks like my Apistogramma tucurui eggs are going to hatch, some 80 eggs. This is the third spawning from this female (F-2) but the first to be fertile. I am hopefuly to raise these guys up as this is the only pair since I moved, that I have and I do not know of anyone else that has them. Wish me luck!

~Jeremy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jeremy,

In Germany A. tucurui has a bad reputation for having bad parenting skills. The females almost always eat their eggs or larvae before they become freeswimming. They are one of the few apistos that seem to be best bred by separating the adults from the eggs.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Well I did just that, removed the eggs from the parents. I had to force hatch them and that was not too easy. I used a razor blade and ran it along the egg of the flower pot removing each egg. That was enough to free the babies out from the eggs. I do admit some of them are not going to make it but I do have quite a few that look fine.

I am going to try to keep the eggs together with the parents next time just to see what happens. At least I have fry for now :~) Thanks for the advice!

~Jeremy

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Well they are about a day to the free swimming stage. There should be about 30 of them this time around. I am hoping the female spawns late this week or sometime next week. She is starting to fatten up again. I will keep everyone informed.

~Jeremy

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Just say the price? That could be a dangerous comment, jk. I will let you know when they are ready. I imagine sometime in the Spring. Thanks!

~Jeremy

Rolo

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
In Germany A. tucurui has a bad reputation for having bad parenting skills. The females almost always eat their eggs or larvae before they become freeswimming. They are one of the few apistos that seem to be best bred by separating the adults from the eggs.

Hi Mike,

really? I never heard that... who told that?
I never had this species by myself, but I know, that W. Staeck breeds this species regularly and he never told me about such (or other) problems.
It seems to me, that it's a individual problem, or not?

greetings,
Rolo

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Honestly, I have never sent fish over the border. Anyone else have experience in that department? Anyways, the fry were free swimming this morning. I gave them some microworms and bbs to munch on. Seem to be healthy and active.

~Jeremy

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I will let you know when they are of size to send to the most Northern part of the US then ;~) The fry certainly are light in color which confirms the idea of Uwe Romer thinking they are a sand dwelling species like A. diplotaenia.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
really? I never heard that... who told that?

Ingo told me this & even wrote the same in his article on eastern Amazon apistos. I, too, have never had this species so I can't be sure. Not to 'knock' A. tucurui, but personally I would prefer getting its more colorful cousin, A. sp. Vielfleck/Multi-spot.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Wow I didn't even know there was a closely related species to A. tucurui. That is a nice looking fish. Does it need softer water then A. tucurui. I just happened to find A. tucurui to be a pretty fish that is surprisingly easy to spawn given time, IME.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Multi-spot/Vielfleck should not be more difficult to reproduce than, say, A. agassizii. Gary Elson wrote an excellent article on them several years ago in TFH, where he called the "Amapa-Guttata" & "Pineapple".

Rolo

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I, too, have never had this species so I can't be sure. Not to 'knock' A. tucurui, but personally I would prefer getting its more colorful cousin, A. sp. Vielfleck/Multi-spot.

Yes, I agree.. and I have Vielflecks ;-) I have them since years. They were lost in the hobby for a few years (and I unfortunately had only males left), but now they are availible again here. I gave away my juveniles two weeks ago, but I have freeswimming fry since yesterday again. You're right, Vielflecks are pretty easy to breed.
I'm still thinking about coming to norway... but the chances are bad. But anyway, the fry wouldn't be big enough until March.

greetings,
Rolo

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….