• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. "Steel Blue"

HEY,

Yesterday i bought an Apistogramma sp. "Steel Blue" for $8.99!!!!! Why? They thought it was Apistogramma Borelii. hahhahahahahhahah, I was going to tell them the fish was worth more, but......... I wanted the fish:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:: biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggr in::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::tongue::tongue::ton gue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongu e::tongue::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So far it has bin doing well, I drip acclimated him (I know it's a him). heres a vid.
[video=youtube;pg1-qDKhpF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1-qDKhpF8&feature=g-upl[/video]

also, since the breed is most likely a hybrid between many fish like borelii, can i buy a female borellii and se if they breed for me???

thanks,
J.A.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No one is positive that this form is actually a hybrid. It is just as possible that it is a color enhanced - or even wild - form of some apisto species. The Japanese apistophiles believed it was a cross between one of the caetei- and a resticulosa-complex species. According to Römer, the European breeders crossed the original imports (from SE Asia) into Europe - all males - with females of "A. caetei" (we don't know which form was used). Therefore, European strains probably are hybrids. Whether hybrids or a pure species, A. borellii genes are not part of its make-up. A. borellii and regani-group species are sufficiently different that I doubt that they will reproduce for you. I suggest that you find a Steel-blue female. They are more common now than when the form was first introduced. Otherwise, try a caetei-complex species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. caetei - and most apistos from eastern Brazil - are rare commercial imports anymore. Jeff at Aquaticlarity ordered some earlier this year, but sadly they came in very "rough" and didn't survive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….