• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Breitbinden Red cheek?

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I have been keptA.Breitbinden or actually Megaptera for 3 month and successful to breed them.
Month ago, I saw the Breitbinden imported from Hongkong which labelled as Breitbinden Red cheek.
Its price is higher than normal Breitbinden about 2 time and It's my first time seeing this species.
I notice my Breitbinden he also have red margin at his grill too but not much like the Breitbinden red cheek from Hongkong.

Do you think Is it just colour variation?
IMG_6024 (Small).JPG
IMG_6020 (Small).JPG

I think it's kust colour variation because today I got a pair apistogramma red cheek in same price with normal A.Breitbinden. The pair is only one among the group in the shop that show very red cheek so,I asked my friend to buy after him.
Do you think, Can I cross breeding normal Breitbinden with Breitbinden red cheek?

PS.Breitbinden Red cheek my new fish.
IMG_7286 (Small).JPG
IMG_7291 (Small).JPG
IMG_7316 (Small).JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The top fish are A. megaptera (formerly A. cf. sp. Brietbinden-Kurzlappen). The fish with the red spots is a color morph of A. piaroa (formerly A. sp. Breitbinden). These are 2 different species. Will they cross? Possibly. They are after all closely related species. My question is who would want a hybrid??

Champ_17

5 Year Member
No they did't cross. I have some fry of the pair in the first picture.
After that I buy A.Breitbinden wild hoping to avoid interbreeding but The new pair look strange from My old one. So, I asked you before I do hybridizing among 2 species
Thank you very much Mike Lucky me to asked you before.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
The key to separate these 2 species is the red spot on the grill and dorsal fin?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The red spots on the gill cover are not a diagnostic feature of either species. The primary differences are the shape of the dorsal fin and minor differences in the pattern in the caudal fin.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….