• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma paucsiquamis female..

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi guys/Mike.. i could do with a little help. Recently a UK shop imported a small batch of A.paucsiquamis, the 17 fish came from Manaus and i was at the shop within 24 hours and as far as i know i was the second person to pick out fish. I know the owners and was allowed to select my own fish.

The vast majority were males, i could see no other species mixed in and the remaining fish were all very small and undernourished females. The one good sized female in the tank went into my bag alongside a handsome male. Most of the remaining fish have since found homes(amongst my friends) and if i have made a mistake im out of the running in breeding this species which has been close to the top of my list for many years!

The male chases the female around the tank and she does stop occassionally and show her belly in a submissive/flirty manner typical of Apistos. However im still not 100% sure i have a female A.paucsiquaimis, part of my problem is a lack of good female pictures in the reference books (I have all the dwarf cichlid reference books to hand) and the fact that being a agassizi group fish i struggle to differenciate between paucsiquamis, mendezi, agassizi, gephra females all of which could of been shipped from Manaus, either collected with paucsiquamis or mixed after collection...

I added a mirror to get the fish to the front of the tank and took some decent pics.. Anyone help?

DSCF6296.jpg

DSCF6294.jpg

DSCF6289.jpg

DSCF6287-1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ste, I hate to say it but this is not a female A. paucisquamis. Three features stand out: the fish is too deep-bodied/high-backed for this species, it has no abdominal stripes (very prominent on paucisquamis), and the fish shows no anal spot (easily seen on your male). My guess it is either A. agassizii or A. gephyra.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Cheers Mike, deep down i knew that but still gutted!! the shop lost a few males and a friend who was due to receive a trio has not had them because there were not enough females! i will be phoning the shop tomorrow to see if there are any left!

Thanks for the help, it confirmed what i already suspected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….