• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma macmasteri vs. viejita

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Patrick,

Here is a link to a thread where this was discussed:
http://forum.apistogramma.com/viewtopic.php?t=2077
There is mention of a red seam being present on the dorsal fin of viejita only. My dominant male viejita doesn't give me a real good look, but he does appear to have a red seam on his dorsal fin. So far I don't see any red seam on the macmasteri.

I've had some F1 viejita for almost a year now. I just recently got some wild caught macmasteri and they clearly look different (color). The macmasteri appear to be lighter color...slight blue visible on cheeks...more red on tail fin.

However I don't think I can make a good visible comparison right now because I've only had the macmasteri 10 days so they're settle settling in, but also at the same time, they seem to have a sickness and on top of that they're younger than the viejita. I've lost 2 of my 6 macmasteri so far I hope I don't lose any more. Maybe in a month or two, if I still have any, I should be able to make a good comparison. Some people think they are just 1 species.

Michael

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Everything mentioned is correct. The first fish pictured is the colorful wild form of "Red-back" or "Red-shoulder" A. macmasteri. The fish pictured after it is a domestic form that possibly is a mix of 2 or more closely related forms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….