• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma gephyra

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Kullander originally considered A. gephyra to be close to A. pertensis, partly based on the lack of dark pigment on the 1st spines of the dorsal and ventral fins.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info - so A. gephyra is considered a 'bridge' species between A. agassizii and A. pertensis? as I recall reading somewhere.

In reviewing the video I posted, it does appear that the female has dark pigment at the bases (but not all along the spines) of it's pelvic fins and the first spine of it's dorsal fin, interestingly, which has not been so clear in the photos, it would be interesting to see if females from other location/populations have similar patterning in brood care.

Also I cannot locate the original description of A. gephyra by Kullander, 1980 in an internet search. Any ideas where to find it?

Thanks, again

Ekona

5 Year Member
I found the reference about A. gephyra being considered a bridge species between A. agassizii and A. pertensis - good old Dwarf Cichlid.com http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_gephyra.php. The photo of the female there also shows the first dorsal spine with dark pigment and some dark pigment on the upper portions of the pelvic fins. Similar to my female.

I've looked through a list of 140 of Kullander's publications but I cannot see any reference to his description of A. gephyra.
Gotta be out there somewhere...the search continues.

Ekona

5 Year Member
A close examination of this photo of the female shows that the dark pigmentation in the first dorsal spine is actually a continuation of the the red tips and dark submarginal band of the dorsal fin. This dark pigment becomes a marginal band on the caudal and anal fins, but is less pronounced in intensity.
The anterior spines of the pelvic fins show no dark pigment, but there are traces of dark pigment at the bases of the pelvic fins.
vle2Kn.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info - so A. gephyra is considered a 'bridge' species between A. agassizii and A. pertensis? as I recall reading somewhere.

Once is was, but not now.

From the original description: "Etymology. gephyra (Greek noun), a bridge, with reference to the superficial morphological intermediacy between A. agassizii and A. pertensis, belonging to different groups of species."

I've looked through a list of 140 of Kullander's publications but I cannot see any reference to his description of A. gephyra.
Gotta be out there somewhere...the search continues.

Kullander, S. O. 1980. A Taxonomical Study of the Genus Apistogramma Regan, with a Revision of Brazilian and Peruvian Species (Teleostei: Perciformes: Cichlidae). Bonner Zoologische Monographien, Nr. 14. p. 131-134.

I don't think it's in publication anymore, so you can only find it second hand. On a side note the monograph was published with 'perfect binding' (like a paperback novel), but it was far from perfect. My copy instantly started to fall apart, so I had it hard bound back in 1987.:D

Ekona

5 Year Member
Once is was, but not now.
Kullander, S. O. 1980. A Taxonomical Study of the Genus Apistogramma Regan, with a Revision of Brazilian and Peruvian Species (Teleostei: Perciformes: Cichlidae). Bonner Zoologische Monographien, Nr. 14. p. 131-134.
Thanks Mike, found it online here.

I don't think it's in publication anymore, so you can only find it second hand. On a side note the monograph was published with 'perfect binding' (like a paperback novel), but it was far from perfect. My copy instantly started to fall apart, so I had it hard bound back in 1987.:D
And, yes it's an ichthyological taxonomist's treasure.:D

Ekona

5 Year Member
For comparison - A. agassizii 'Barra Mansa, Alenquer' female in brood care coloration - showing much more pronounced dark pigment in anterior spines/region of pelvic fins and more pronounced dark pigment in first dorsal spine.
Xntvf6.jpg

And a photo of A. sp. Tefe female (not in brood care coloration) showing pelvic fin coloration.
Pj8hkX.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….