• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma catching and eating snails

fart

5 Year Member
Hi

I have had experiences with this in my aquariums with two different apistogramma.

The first observation was with a young male Apistogramma bitaeniata. He was not very success full, but never the less did not give up.

The second and still occurring "snail hunter" is a Apistogramma cf. eunotus "Orangeschwanz"

My question is does anybody else observed this behavior?
and is this something apistogramma does in the wild? and not only a aquarium circumstance because an unnatural environment.

Both occasions the snail that is been targeted is malaysian sand snails.

With regards
RHD

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, snail eating has been written about for decades. Macmasteri-group species are known to pick up small snails and ram the shells against the glass or other hard surfaces to break the shell and then eat the soft parts. I don't recall snails being reported in gut examinations of wild fish, but I guess they do it in the wild. I know I've collected snails with apistos in the wild.

fart

5 Year Member
ok thank you, thats what my Apistogramma cf. eunotus "Orangeschwanz" does. Rams them at the glass.
Got a photo of it catching the snail. but hard to get a good one when its smashing it

With regards
RHD

fart

5 Year Member
This took some, not easy to get the fish do what you want them to do when you want them to do it.
But finally, i was on the right spot on the right time to at least get some of the action.

I heard the male Apistogramma was hitting the snail against the glass. hurried to find the camera.
What i got is the male has the snail in his mouth, spits it out and shake some of the snail out.
And something i never has seen before the female get the spoils. You can also see empty snail shells on the bottom.

Hope you enjoy the film.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice video.

What are the roots from? is it a terrestrial plant above the tank?

Makes sense that Apistogramma eunotus shows this behaviour, mainly because it comes from harder water where snails may be present naturally.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Darrel: the roots you see in the movie is a really huge Ceratopteris thalictroides that I use as a floating plant.
It thrives as a floating plant and a perfect place for nannostomus fry.
I'm a Ceratopteris fan as well, but mine never get very large before producing new adventitious plants and falling apart. Does it have emersed leaves?

cheers Darrel

fart

5 Year Member
Since its in at tank with with full cover on top not many of the leaves are emersed, most of the leaves are submerged but the water surface are full of leaves that are semi emersed.

The "mother plant" has lots of saplings (is that the correct word) but the mostly end up around the "mother plant"

Robert

Glad you shared this one! I've only seen this once before with my A. panduro-male (Rio Tahuayo). But ram the snail against the glass is far out... Nemo's trying to get back home :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….