• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Androgeny

Hassles

5 Year Member
Apistogramma Androgeny

I have bred 2nd generation A.cacatuoides (double red) from German bred parents. I reared a surplus of females and find they have developed the redish caudal fin patern so indicative of the males. Now I am under the belief that such traits are never found in wild caught fish but that this does occur in some aquarium strains. However, some of these (female) fish also exhibit red tips to the dorsal fin membranes along with anterior extensions! Could my fish truly be androgenous? This most androgenous specimen, prior to the obvious development of anterior extension, mothered a brood with a gorgeous triple-red male so I shall be anxiously awaiting the outcome as the fry develop. Has anyone heard of or experienced such in the past?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi Hassles,
I haven't got a photo at present, but I'll get one this evening of my oldest female double red cacatuoides, she has bred successfully many times, but not recently and is almost 4 years old. I think you will be quite interested in her appearance.
cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Old female A. cacatuoides, with some male characterstics.

Hi all,
Here she is (centre of picture), male is on the left facing us, and he normally ignores her.

old_female_web.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hassles

5 Year Member
yep - just like that

G'day Darrel, thanks for posting that image. I shall have to make atempts at uploading an image myself somehow.

Yep - thats just what the caudal fin looks like. If I manage to get a half-decent image I shall make further comment then.

take care

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sgraves23

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….